What kinds of bones do you give your dog?

I have a Lab, pretty good size one at that. He has his adult teeth and loves to chew and if he doesn't have a bone, he will pretty much chew on everything else. Now, I've been criticized before about giving him rawhides. Any other suggestion besides, nyla bones or bully sticks? Thank you.

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Raw, meaty bones are the best. I don't feed raw myself (although I'd love to some day), but here is one site I found about it if you are interested: http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/feedyourdogrmb.php Have you tried a Kong?

I hope you don't think I was critisizing you in the other post for giving rawhide. I just wanted to warn you about it as most people don't know the dangers.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• OMG!! Ask ANY vet!! NEVER EVER EVER give your dog chicken bones! Not only can they get lodged in their throats, but they can also perforate their intestines!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We give our Rotties cow knuckles. They don't smell like the hooves do and they last them almost a full month. They also keep their teeth strong, clean and plaque free. They're the first dogs I've ever had that don't have bad breath! lol. And another suggestion is to just make their toys more interesting. Toys where they have to find a way to get the treats out are always good. Dogs are intelligent and crave mental stimulation. They love to be challenged. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• reg rawhide my dogs stomach is super sensitive
    Anonymous

• i always get rawhide or smoked bones from the ag store. usually they are just the joint of a cow that still has a bit of meat on it and is smoked. she loves those and they last a long time. i try to stay away from pig ears tho she loves them but they give her really bad gas. but i see nothing wrong with rawhide. i have had a dog my whole life and with all the dogs we have had we gave them rawhide and never had a problem. if you arent having any problems with it dont worry about it. just dont ever give chicken bones as they can splinter.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I buy beef femurs. They look like dinosaur bones. Especially next to my mini-pom. LOL. But, she is an aggressive chewer, too. If I buy the tiny ones, she goes through them in a matter of minutes. The huge ones keep her busy for weeks! LOL. Rawhide doesn't digest. It just passes through the system. Sometimes, though, it doesn't & can cause a bowel obstruction. With the long bones, there are bits of tendons on them. But, they digest. I go more for the beef bones as the pork bones tend to splinter.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have a lab too and I buy the large bones from the pet store like this one
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4358697
    or pigs ears...the large bone usually lasts her a few weeks but she loves them and has no problems eating or digesting them...I just make sure they are real bones.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Raw knuckle bones, chicken thighs, backs, wings and necks-all raw of course. We don't use rawhides, occasionally greenies, and dehydrated duck necks, and bully bones.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Do not give cooked (even smoked) bones as they can splinter and cause lots of damage to the digestive tract. If you're going to give bones, stick with raw.

As to your original question which I forgot to answer. My dogs get Nylabones although they don't chew them much. I give them the hard ones mostly, but they've had the edible ones, too, which they like but ate them very quickly.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• U can get one of those bones with the stuff inside,they r called busy bones or chew alot bones.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011