I need help potty training my 2 year old son!!!

xavensmommy

Asked by xavensmommy at 2:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him some "big boy" underwear with his favorite character on them and let him run around the house in them and ask him often if he wants to try to go to the big boy potty like that character does so he doesn't pee on his favorite character. Also could have sticker chart above potty seat for rewards when so many stickers get posted after he goes.
    dpriser

Answer by dpriser at 2:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• All the things dpriser said above me are great!! Just remember sometimes they are NOT ready, so don't stress - it will happen eventually!!
    JusaLady

Answer by JusaLady at 2:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Agreed. Ultimately, in my experience anyway, it will happen when they are ready. My son fought me for almost a year of training (all of his 2's), then as soon as he turned 3, he was done. Just overnight decided no more diapers, I'll use the potty now. Most importantly, always positive reinforcement. Also, treats for going are a good idea. But be careful what treats. I started out with a cookie, but then he wanted to go every 5 minutes just to get the cookie. So we moved down to Skittles...then we smartened up and moved to less sugary treats...lol Whatever he loves, make it fun, and always encourage. It'll happen. Good luck!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• well i told him if he went in a big boy potty then he would get a cookie (there his favorite :) ) but his problem is that i will put him on the potty and he wont go but then when i take him off and put his undies on..he goes in them!!! What should i do??
    xavensmommy

Comment by xavensmommy (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• IMO 2 might be a bit early,, I waited until DS took an interest, he was just 3 and in 1 week it was done,, my mother swears that my brother and I were both trained by 1 1/2, but I bet we had alot of accidents,,, don't stress and I used fruit loops in the toilet, we made a game of "aiming" at them,, so be glad you have a boy!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What seems to be the problem? Boys are easy they just go in there and do their thing lol. Does your husband have any help to show him whats up? Does your little man have his own potty? Sit him down first give him a book if needed let him sit untill he feels comforbel standing up. My 2yr. old just one day went in there and put the sit up on his own and was standing at the toilet lol you go to check on him and it was funny and cute to see little butt and his hand holding his....lol.. I think dad should help too.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2011