Does anyone have any tips on potty training for a girl that is very difficult?

My Granddaughter just turned 4 yrs old, was a preemie, but does very well with all skills for her age except potty training. She has been to the pediatrician and he seems to think what she is doing is normal and her Mother and I disagree. She will hold it for up to 24 hours and then finally give in. Besides the issue of making her ill, it is very hard to know how to catch her in time to get her to the potty. She doesn't like diapers, but doesn't like the potty either. She loves "big girl" underwear and shows them off and is very proud of them. She is very quiet most of the time and well behaved except when trying to get her to the potty and then sit there long enough to try. Has anyone heard of this "holding it" for so long? If so, what do you suggest?

WorriedMomo

Asked by WorriedMomo at 2:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I bribed my daughter. She got a star every time she went. When she got 10 stars, she got a Prize. (The prize was a small toy from dollar store) It took 2 weeks.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My DH used to do this, it was because someone spanked him for going in his pants,, now I am not saying that is the case, but I would say positive reinforcement is the key,, I would ask her to go 1st thing in the morning and offer a reward for her is she does, maybe some new princess panties? You could tell her everytime she uses the potty she gets to put on a new pair,, I would buy a whole gob of really pretty ones and use them as a reward,,,,,if she doesn't get the hang of it you might want to have her checked out a bit more,,,she might suffer some pain due to a small urethrea? I don't know if I spelled this right, you could also let her hang out with another kiddo who is potty trained, she might "want to be the same",, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You mght try a reward system for her. She might be scared of the potty and when it flushs. so make it fun for her. Everyone told me she will go and learn when she is ready. Just hang in there.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I tired everything with my daughter. Stickers, Treats, toys...nothing worked. So one day I just told her that I was done wiping her bottom and she needed to use the potty like everyone else. It worked! No joke! I wish I had thought of that earlier!
    ihavetwo2

Answer by ihavetwo2 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011