S/O: If you choose to keep your child rear facing until the age of two...

How do the child's legs and feet fit? If I kept my kids rear facing my boys' knees would bee in their faces. Am I missing something, or would your kids be too cramped/uncomfortable too???
I have a 8 month old son who's feet are already out of his infant car seat....

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your sons legs are past his infant carrier, it's time to get a different car seat.
    The extened rear facing seats give them more room for their legs and I guess they cross them once they are too long.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my car certainly wouldnt be able to handle a different car seat rear facing. the infant seat was already hard to get in to begin with. and there would be no way my kids knees would be in their face as well. yes my kids feet were already starts to hang out at 8 months and by 10 months they were already getting very cramped finally at 11 months i went to a regular car seat.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm curious about this too. The seats will have to have a longer base,but that would put the seat right up against the back of the front seat. How is that safer? And how are families with more than 1 kid suppose to fit the dang things in the car? They hardly fit now!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We have a Recaro Como seat, and my son's legs were bent to allow him to sit rear facing for quite awhile (until about 18 or 19 months, because his knees were in his ears). Safety to me is more important than comfort, frankly.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My twin boys are 2 years, but at 15 months, they're legs were already hanging over their forward facing seats.
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• They bend there legs. It usually is not a big deal to the child. However, my first born was the size of a four year old when he turned 2. I truly don't think rear-facing would have worked for him. My 15 months old (4th child) is the size of his 2 1/2 year old sister. They are both still rear-facing. My daughter doesn't care for it much in longer trips, but I think if I took her shoes off she would be much more comfortable. I am about ready to turn her though, because she also gets very car sick. We don't know until AFTER we stop, that she has thrown up. She just cries. :( Poor thing.

Anyway. That was more then you wanted. :D Most kids are just fine with their legs bent up, though we wouldn't like it as an adult! Also, you only need a new infant carrier if the baby's HEAD has reached the top!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• musicpisces......I'm just wondering if you were to have gotten in an accident would it have affected your child, being in an uncomfortable position, because of improper body alignment?
    I'm really not trying to knock anyone's views or opinions, but original question of it all came to mind.

Also, I know there are recommendations given to keep our children safe, but a lot of the times the current recommendations expire because of lack of knowledge. Kind of like the "should people start feeding babies solid foods at 4 or 6 months?".....they keep going back and forth on that one....
    Just stuff to think about!
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• CABlonde, the danger from front facing is that the head is severed from the spinal cord from the whiplash. Any injury from improper alignment would be minor when compared to death.

I'm not a huge proponent of rear facing. I only recently switched my 2 year old around - because of what I am reading, and for convenience sake. I climb in the 'trunk' of the van to buckle the two little ones up. When she was forward facing I had to climb in the side to buckle her and in the back to buckle the baby. My other two are in the middle because of getting car sick.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• See, this is why I'm so glad that that I dont' have to worry about that crap. My son was forward facing when he was 4 months old, back then it was only 20lbs. Then when my daughter was born it was 20lbs AND 12 months, my daughter was 18 months before she could face forward. And I tell ya what, I don't give a rats ass on those recomendations because they change sooo much, it's crazy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Butterflyblue - I SO agree!! All these new recommendations, and you KNOW they will soon become law. We have four children still in car seats. People say, buy a bigger vehicle - but that isn't always an option. We live frugally. Even buying a new car seat is tough on the bank account. I REALLY wish companies would make slim models of car seats so that you could easily and safely fit three in a row in the van or car!! That would be a miracle!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011