Does anyone know how to calm down ADHD kid without using medication?

My son is 15 and i have had him on medication in the past for it, but did not like they way it made him. He was not my child . Came home from school and just laid around. So i took him off his medication. He over all is a great kid just need to figure out a way to get him to stay focus in his class without having to resort to medication again...Any suggestions?

FreeFood4Life

Asked by FreeFood4Life at 2:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You can try a diet change. It requires cutting out a lot of artificial coloring and such. I know people who have done it and swear by it.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• There are some great alternatives to medication, but not all children respond to the same things, so it's a lot of trial and error. TMG or DMG can help a lot. Kids will respond to one or the other, but not both. A magnesium supplement, given with B6 for absorption, can be a huge help.  http://www.wellsphere.com/add-adhd-article/treating-adhd-with-magnesium-and-vitamin-b6/578241

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Caffine is supposed to have the opposite effect on people with ADHD. Also increasing protien intake will help him concentrate.
    Red and Blue dyes are the worst
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• WOW thank you everyone for the tips...I know i have heard about Caffeine having that affect. i have tried it and OH MY GOSH!!!! Didn't work on mine...LOL... He is very active with Basketball and i try my best to keep him as hydrated as i can but sometimes he gets to into what he is doing outside with his friends and BB that he won't come in and get a drink....
    FreeFood4Life

Comment by FreeFood4Life (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My son actually calms down after drinking a Monster. He sometimes drinks one before school and his teachers thought he was back on meds because he was concentrating more.

You could try behavioral counseling with someone who has experience with kids with ADHD, they will teach him ways to work with his ADHD symptoms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• keep them active and have patience.
    hotchocolatema1

Answer by hotchocolatema1 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thanks Everyone for you answers...i will try some of the responses and see if it helps......He is very active and try to have the patiences!!!! LOL
    FreeFood4Life

Comment by FreeFood4Life (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Have you tried any of the non-stimulant meds? If dietary changes and such don't have too much of an impact you may need to simply try another type of medication. I tried many different things but it wasn't something we could do without medical intervention.

I did find when my kids were younger though that keeping them on a schedule, having routines and redirecting their attention helped tremendously.
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 9:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011