My 6 year old cannot seem to mind? Should I have him tested for ADD?

I will try to be brief, but almost everyday my son does something "wrong" at school or at after care,, I kind of just think it is normal boy behaivor, and I even asked his teacher if she thought we should have him tested, she said no, but honestly I am so over the bad reports! He can mind when he wants to, and yes we use a behavior chart, but it seems he can't go1 day with something not happening,,,I will say that his school seems to be ALOT more strict than I remember mine being,, but I don't know..is there any signs that I should look for, any help would be appreciated!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 2:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wont hurt a bit to get him tested!! The sooner you do get him tested the better especially if he does have something. At least you will know for sure if he is just being a butt or if he really does have a deeper issue. I really wish you the best and really hope you didnt take the mean comments on here to heart! Some people just dont care enough about their children to get them the proper help they need when it does come to their child having a ADD or something. I know I would feel like a horrible mother if my child had something and I just ignored it and passed it off as him being a kid and being in trouble all the time when it really was something he couldnt control. Good luck :)
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 4:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• why does everyone jump to ADD/ADHD for behavioral issues
    Anonymous

• Signs of ADD :

- difficulty paying attention to details and tendency to make careless mistakes in school or other activities; producing work that is often messy and careless
    - easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli and frequently interrupting ongoing tasks to attend to trivial noises or events that are usually ignored by others
    - inability to sustain attention on tasks or activities
    - difficulty finishing schoolwork or paperwork or performing tasks that require concentration
    - frequent shifts from one uncompleted activity to another
    - procrastination
    - disorganized work habits
    - forgetfulness in daily activities (for example, missing appointments, forgetting to bring lunch)
    - failure to complete tasks such as homework or chores
    - frequent shifts in conversation, not listening to others, not keeping one's mind on conversations, and not following details or rules of activities in social situations
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Signs of ADHD :

- fidgeting, squirming when seated
    - getting up frequently to walk or run around
    - running or climbing excessively when it's inappropriate (in teens this may appear as restlessness)
    - having difficulty playing quietly or engaging in quiet leisure activities
    - being always on the go
    - often talking excessively
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The signs of ADD and ADHD are combined. Your child will need to have symptoms in both categories AND for the ADHD symptoms to be apparent before the age of 7.

While I have to agree with the PP about parents always looking for something "wrong" with their child just for the sake of a diagnosis, there are some real increased probabilities with ADD/ADHD these days. I don't know your child, but if the teacher doesn't suggest that there is a mental problem, then I don't think I'd push it any further. ADD & ADHD are VERY obvious if you know what to look for, and the teacher should have plenty of experience.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• 1. I don't think "everyone" jumps to labeling kids with a disorders; 2. Thanks Razelda for your list, 3. "Bad" behavior exhausts parents and sends friends and family packing because it exhausts them too, so a parent many times, has less and less support (I know), 4. A test is a test for give a bench mark and framework. YOU live with your child. If YOUR intuition calls you to do this test for some direction (either way) I say - "GO for it."

And, Sensory Processing issues (similar but not exactly the same as ADD, ADHAD) often exhibit what most of us would consider "Bad" behavior; the first of which is just plain not listening to us. My 6 yr old son can be "Good" for periods of time too, but it takes enormous effort for him, (especially when he is tired) and most of the time, he does not totally get he is being "bad...." Good luck. Research, trust your intuition, and do what you feel you must.

Stuff does not get better
    Whirlagigsmom

Answer by Whirlagigsmom at 2:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• One or two children will ALWAYS stick out from the rest of the class. If you're concerned, take him to the pediatrician. That is all I can say. If you TRULY feel there is a problem, go. Figure it out. Get the diagnosis if there is one. You have to do what is in the best interest of the child, not what is in the best interest of the classroom when the child isn't a problem. Perhaps the school is too strict? Maybe it's the teacher? Sometimes you have to change things a bit in order to get successful results.

Did this problem exist before school? How is the child at home? How well does he interact with peers and family? You have to take in the overall, big picture scenario. Not just 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. =)

Do wish you luck with this.
    Anonymous

• i have a 8yr old daughter and i am going through the same thing i dont know if i should have her tested .she gets good grades, but her listening is terrible.i get complaints on her behavior everywhere she goes. i am gonna meet with school counslor and principle on tuesday at my request . i will let u know anything that maybe helpful to you
    maryanne618

Answer by maryanne618 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I appreciate your advice, but in the past 6 months, every time I pick him up I have to hear of another Billy adventure, he is a very outgoing and positive little boy, and I am just trying to make sure that I do everything possible to help him have a good as life as possible, he does have several of the symptoms you mentioned, and this is the teacher's first year of teaching,,,,I think that we will see how the summer goes, and go from there, it just kind of suprises me because his preschool teacher had nothing but great things to say about his behavior, and although he is sometimes wild, it doesn't seem to me to be anything other than being a boy,,but he is the only kiddo I have to compare too, LOL!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well the thing is he is the only child to get in or make drama everyday! The teacher said he is the most talkative /not listening child she has ever seen,,,,I am to the point that if I get one more call, note, report, I might just scream,,,,everyday he tells me it will be a good day, and then I arrive and I get the Billy list,,,,it is just so frustrating for him and for me,,I want to focus on the positive but it seems like he can do no right while at school,,,,,idk
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2011