37 weeks and we STILL can't agree on a name...

I swear, my husband must hate me to come up with the names he does. Colt... I mean, really? Colt makes me think of a) a baby horse, b) a gun, or c) a malt liquor. Nothing I want my son associated with. Then let's see... we have Cole, Colby, Cormac, sensing a pattern here? Plus a bunch of names he actually picked off the PBR Bullrider list. How did he turn into a redneck after we got married? He never was one before...

Ugh. This kid is not going to have a name till he's old enough to pick one himself, I swear.

Anybody else ever had this problem before? I have literally given him HUNDREDS of names I could live with, and he still won't compromise!

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 2:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Baby Names

• i think you guys should right a list of about ten names you like on seperate sheets of papers then switch papers and have you partner cross off 8 and go from there he def. needs to copramise with you
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• lol- We didn't have a name for our third until we were at the hospital looking at him, and even then we had to try a few out. Sometimes, you just have to meet them before you know. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had the opposite problem. I wanted only one name for my son, and my husband wasn't to keen on it. He said it sounds effeminate :( In my heart I just couldn't deal with any other name, though. He finally caved when we found a middle name he liked lol. My son's name is Imriel Leander, but I wonder sometimes if the name my husband wanted wasn't the right one... Octavian. He was born 8/8 and he was my mother's 8th grandbaby lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My dh always managed to find a few that we both liked. We would literally go through the books first before we could come up with anything. Im sure you guys will find something but the list idea sounds like a good one.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I haven't had that problem. My hubby never tells me anything he likes. He just waits until I make a list and then he starts vetoing lol.

You told us what your hubby likes. Why not give us a couple examples of names that you like and maybe one of the ladies here can suggest a good compromise =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The problem is I like plenty of names. Like I said, I gave him a list of a good 200 names I'd have no problem with. He just doesn't want to budge. As for a compromise, I mentioned Connor, I like that name, and it still has that whole Co- thing going on, but nooooo. It HAS to be exactly the way he has it, and I just can't make myself give my son a name I will hate every time I say it. I even suggested using one of his picks as a middle name, even though I hate it, just because I wouldn't have to say it all the time, but that doesn't work either, apparently.

I really want to punch him, heh.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• lol. I'm sorry your husband is giving you a hard time. My husband and I had issues with boy names when I was pregnant with our daughter. My favorite boy name was Aiden Allister and he HATED it. So I asked him what he liked and he said Ezra. I think that name sounds girly, so obviously I hated it. After looking through a ton of baby name websites and looking through a ton of characters in our favorite books and movies/shows, we finally came up with Brayden Thomas. Thankfully we ended up having a girl because I now hated that boy name. lol.

Have your tried Collin? That's another name starting with Co that I didn't see you list. It can't just be what your husband wants, so I hope you don't settle for a name you hate just because he won't compromise. Maybe you guys should stray away from the C names and start looking at other names that he may like. Good luck.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well my DH want our boys name to start with a W so we scrolled the some books and came up with Wyatt Austin, but the day i went in for my last ultra sound i changed our sons name from Wyatt Austin to Lane Wyatt. But no matter how much you are set on that one name it will be changed. My DH didnt even like the new name that i had picked out but now our boy is 18 months old my DH loves our boy and loves the name and our family agrees that it fits him perfectly
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Im about 33 weeks and we have no name picked out either. I like ones my husband doesnt and vice versa. We dont know if we are having a girl or a boy either so we have two names to come up with, and cant really settle on anything. I dont think we will ever find a name we both like with this one.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I agree with a PP that it will probably be best to see if he can be steered away from the "Co-" names. If he absolutely will not budge from that I don't know what to tell you. Here a few "Co-" names in case you guys want to look them over.

Conary, Constantine, Colum, Conley, Conlan, Conrad, Cooper, Corbin, Cory, Cody, Courtland, Coburn, Colbyn/Colbin

Your husband also seems to have a tendency towards "western" style names. What about something with a similar feel?
    Walker, Hunter, Jesse, Everett, Wyatt, Hollis
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011