What can help my child fall asleep easier?

My daghter fights sleep every night and its frustrating when I am so tired from a long day. I even keep her from taking a nap, and she still can go full speed til 11 or 12 at night. What can I do to help?

AshleyManjares

Asked by AshleyManjares at 3:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old is she? My son has/had this problem so badly, we tried melatonin when he turned 3 which made it worse and terrible.. after many methods of routine, lavender baths, calming 30 minutes before bed, dietary changes...etc!!... I had to get on line and look up for some type of natural remedy. Its from Native Remedies, I got the Serenite Jr and it does seem to help but you have to time it right with their moods and activity level and well some nights it doesn't help at all but it went from taking 2 or more hours for him to get to bed to 15 on a good night.. I just ordered something called Sleep Tonic which I am going to try - its a great website and all homeopathic..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Do you read to her? Put on some soft classical music? Pat her back? Or just put her in her room, by herself no tv no nothing? Good luck! I know how frustrating it is!! Oh yea and if you put her in her room/bed by herself and she gets out and comes to you.. Don't say anything just pick her up and put her back in bed. And repeat until she eventually tires her self out and falls asleep!!
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 3:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• She is 3 years old. And I have tried everything. I rock her for almost 2 hours every night, and Im expecting my second child, and Its getting harder for me to rock her for that amount of time. She just fights is, sometimes throws a fit.. I tried warm baths, reading, everything. And she absolutely will not sleep in her room alone. I have to make sure she is knocked out before putting her in her bed. :(
    AshleyManjares

Comment by AshleyManjares (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• And to top it off, she will wake me up at the butt crack of dawn and im just so exhausted throughout the entire day that I cant seem to get anything done. :(
    AshleyManjares

Comment by AshleyManjares (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• that sounds like my son.. his wake up time from age 1 to 2 was 445am!!!! for the day!! now at 3 its still 530 or 6..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What about some heavy duty exercise during the afternoon? That might help. Make her run some laps around the park or count how many times she can climb and do a slide or something like that. Good aerobic exercise!

I would not be rocking her.....2 hours!!! That is terrible! How do you get anything done for yourself? I think that is too much. Can you put her in her bed and tell her she has 10 minutes to read, etc....then lights out means she stays in bed or there should be some consequences. I think she needs you to be more firm and reinforce the bedtime rules.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I tried that too! we have a big playground in our apartment complex, and i take her there almost everyday for a couple hours an let her run and play, and she stil wont get tired... And she freaks out if i put her in her bed before she is asleep... :(
    AshleyManjares

Comment by AshleyManjares (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Sleep begets sleep. To me, it sounds like she's overtired. DD was like that though. I'm finding that it was an early sign of her Aspergers Syndrome. You might want to have her evaluated by Early Intervention for something like that. The book, Health Sleep Habits, Happy Child is a great sleep resource.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Try putting her to bed EARLY. Like really early. 7pm early. And make no fuss over it. Just simply tell her this is how it is going to be from now on. If she fights don't say anything. If she gets out of bed- don't say anything and just put her back.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I feel your pain. We have that problem here too. I have found this to work. Dinner every night at 6pm. After dinner is bath. At 7 it's into the room. Then at 8 the tv gets shut off. You get hugs kisses tucked in and all that. Then if they come out after that I don't talk hug anything. I just walk them back to bed and lie them down. Took about a week but they finally got it. Good luck mama I know it's stressful.
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 4:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011