If you've been following my family's ordeal with my cousin,I have an update

Long story short,she lost her son in '09 due to him not being fed and not gaining weight. He's with his paternal grandparents. Dad's in prison(sigh)
She was ordered to get her GED,a job,own apartment,and seek parenting counseling. As of today,all she's done is the parenting class.
She went to court March 2nd,was told to have a steady job by October. Well we're going on a month later and she put in 5 applications. She has a job interview today,but the job is not something I feel she's capable of. It would be phone sales from 4-10pm. The job is 10 miles out of town and she would have to rely on her boyfriend to take her,or take a cab that costs $14 per trip,so $28 a day. She'd have to rely on her mom to babysit and my aunt rarely gets home before 3:30. There are multiple places near her that are within walking distance,and more that are reachable by bus($2 a day). I'm dumbfounded as to why she's relying on this one place to get a job. If she hasn't reached the goal set for her by October,her son is being put up for adoption. The state is DONE with her.She's had 18 months to get her life together and all she wants to do is live the single life.
Oh,forgot to mention,she also has an almost 1 year old as well. He's the one that needs the babysitting.
I hate to be negative,but if she gets the job and starts missing work and gets fired,there goes everything. She doesn't think!
My family is so upset over possibly losing this little boy. There's a good chance we may never see him again. She just doesn't realize that her actions impact all of us!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I hope she wakes up to reality soon.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 3:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• How can the state let her keep the 1 year old if she has 1 taken from being neglected.. wouldn't that instantly mean she is neglecting the other?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well, honestly, she doesn't exactly sound like she'd be the best parent to her son, so he might be better off without her.... But if the family doesn't want to lose him, why couldn't somebody else adopt him? I'm sure the state would prefer that over a perfect stranger, no?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Can someone take the baby that's in the family if she gives the child to them?
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 3:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Wondering the same here. My dd's in laws had a girl in their family who recently lost her 3 kids because the bf was dealing drugs out of their house. She was pregnant at the time of the drug bust. CPS came in and took the baby as soon as it was born because she had an open cps case. She has never seen that baby.

Answer by gemgem at 3:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• why cant one of the family members adopt the baby?
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• CASA would be a good advocate. But here's the thing you need to keep in mind: The CHILD'S best interest. If no one in the family is capable of taking this child in, then you all have to agree that it's more important for him ot be in a good place than to be in a particular biological circle.

Or someone is going to have to step up and do whatever needs to be done to be able to afford the care of this child.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It sounds as if she's made poor decisions for awhile without any guidance and she's continuing to do the same thing with getting her child back. If it has taken her 18 months to try and get her life together, then to me it sounds as if she really doesn't want that type of responsibilty and maybe she's reaching for a job that will make it difficult for her to get to on purpose...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I am wondering the same damn thing.  So they knew she wasn't taking care of one but then let her keep the other.  How messed up!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• How about a mutual adoption? Do you have anyone older who wants to? If she agrees, maybe they could get private lawyer and mom could sign away her rights to the child. Especially if it was out of state . . .that may make a good case.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011