Thumb sucking

My ds will be 1 tomorrow (yay!) and people keep asking me if I'm going to "make him" stop sucking his thumb soon. To be honest I hadn't even thought about it. Is it *really* that big of a deal? And if so, how could I possibly make him stop? I mean, it's attached! lol
My older son nevr sucked his thumb and gave up his binky on his own around 8 months so this is new territory for me.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is a thumb sucker too. He'll be 2 in May and so far, no one has commented on his thumb habit. I am going to let him suck his thumb until he quits on his own. Now will I let him be 5 years old and sucking his thumb at the dinner table--no. I have heard that kids will kick the thumb when they are ready. Not much yo can do about it because, like you said, it's attached. Don't sweat it, Mama. Let you baby be a baby and the heck with the rest! :D
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Just let him be. He will stop when HE is ready. IRNORE those that make comments. Thumb sucking is a comfort for kids. I know an orthodontist that had kids that sucked their thumbs until they were 5 or 6 and he said, thumb sucking, sucking on fingers or a pacifier rarely causes damage to the teeth. Also, I have never seen a kid walking across the stage at high school graduation sucking his thumb.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It does mess their teeth up.. but I think there is a product that you can put on their thumb and it taste horrible..
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 3:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He is just one, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. If he's in school and you can't break him then you can worry.
    Anonymous

• I think the only reason you will need to force the issue is if it starts to affect his teeth. But then as to how you do it I don't know. The younger he is the easier it will be only because you have more control. I know you can try putting a glove on his hand, or painting this stuff on his thumb so that it will taste yucky and he won't want to put it in his mouth. Most kids outgrow it on their own and stop the habit as they grow up and see that other kids don't suck their thumbs. But I was stubborn and really attached to my thumb sucking (I was born with a raw patch on my thumb from sucking it in the womb) and I didn't stop until I was 15. My parents tried a few times to get me to stop and I just refused, got around everything they tried, etc and finally stopped on my own in high school.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• There is a possiblilty it could mess up the alignment of his teeth... But I'm turning 25 in a few weeks..... Yes 25 and I suck my fingers still to go to sleep. Who cares... There are bigger issues in life. A parent trying to stop it, will only make him do it more... If you tell a kid not to do something, what is the one thing that is on their mind to do? There are contraptions you can put on their thumbs so it shields him from being able to suck, or soak the thumb in a nasty tasting chemical.. But I'm not fond of that route. My 18 month old daughter sucks her thumb. I'm not doing anything to compromise a good nights rest!
    Anonymous

• It's called no-bite. You put it on the nail like polish and when they go to suck it will taste really horrible. Thumb sucking can screw up their teeth as well as cause a deformity on their thumb itself. It can be as bad as these pictures, but more often than not I've personally seen a dramatic difference in peoples thumbs if they were an avid thumb sucker. Their finger itself will be much flatter and fatter than the other thumb.

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011