What makes a good thread in P&CE?

http://www.connectedaction.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2009-JCMC-Discussion-Catalysts-Himelboim-and-Smith.pdf

I just read this interesting study that confirms a small minority usually control the flow of information on political discussion boards and that we tend to respond to some people more than others based on who we (other posters) percieve as controlling the flow of information.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 3:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I answer questions that interest me. I respond and don't ask because I've owned a debate board in the past and prefer to sit back and take the easy way out by only answering now.

I appreciate all of you who do ask questions though
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• HA!! lol....I agree

I  answer when the question is something I am interested in

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I enjoy the threads that inspire conversations, not questions that can be answered with a "yes", or "no".

On P&CE, the threads that tend to get the most responses are the ones that are inflammatory. It's like people can't just walk away when they see something that angers them - even if they *know* it's being done deliberately.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I find myself avoiding this section more and more, and especially the posts by those few (the ones that fit your description and seem to "run" this section) whose only goal seems to be to bash Liberals. I get nothing out of them, and those seem to be the most prevalent posts here. If there seems to be a valid question about a topic that interests me, I may check it out, but for the most part, I don't find much on here that's worth discussing--because the "discussion" all too quickly degenerates (if it didn't already start that way) to character assassination and name-calling.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you peruse other sections of CM, you will find more than a few comments about this particular forum, and those comments seem to reflect what is suggested in OPs question. There is definitely a belief from some that this forum is filled with a handful of malcontents, who rather enjoy devouring those with differing POVs. I do not think we, as a group, treat newbies very well; as if there is some magical "right-of-passage" that allows one to proffer a plausible or valid response.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I don't find much on here that's worth discussing--because the "discussion" all too quickly degenerates (if it didn't already start that way) to character assassination and name-calling.

If you want to give a serious and thoughtful answer to the original ?, you have to be one of the first 5 to answer. Beyond that, it's usually just a derailed bash fest- After awhile, that just becomes a big waste of time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Define good - intelligent conversation or lots of answers? Because intelligent conversation comes from the ones with specific facts and a handful of answers, while volume comes with ignorant drama.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I usually answer based on the first "page" of questions at the time I log onto the given discussion board.... It just so happens some people happen to ASK the most questions on said 'page' on certain days... I do try and avoid the world is ending and abortion repeat question...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ok ~ a good thread = a reasoned, thinking debate with thoughtful answers.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• NP...

I think good means something different for everybody. For me good can be funny, substantive, well populated, informative...depends on the mood i'm in. Sometimes i want to have a fight, sometimes i'd just like some information, sometimes i want a good laugh, and i think i can find all of those things on any given day.

BTW, I hope nobody saw this as a personal attack, i just thought it was interesting that this board fit the findings of the study perfectly.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011