Stripping the membrane?

How do they do it? Does it hurt? I go in tomorrow, I will be one day past my due date. Would they do it tomorrow? Been having contractions for 12 days. Every 2mins, but I'm not dilating. What do you think?

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you want them to they will probably do it tommorow. I had it done with my first, my daughter still took 6 days after that to be born. She was a week late. I think your body generally does things on its own, but I know the anxiousness of trying to just get it done with, so its totally up to you.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• MMM, I believe it's when they separate the membranes from your cervix, or something liek that. You basicly loose your mucus plug that way, and NO it doesnt' feel the greatest at ALL. With my son I went into labor when my membranes were stripped, but I had, had my first real contraction prior to that in the office. With my daughter, the nurse striped my membrane because I was dialated to a very loose 3cm and had pretty high blood pressure, did't put me in labor BUT I went in for induction the next day anyways. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Every Dr. will decide to do it at a different time.  I begged my Midwife to.  She refused because when she tried it hurt too much.  There is a "glue" type substance inbetween your bag of water and the top of your cervix/uterus.  They stick their finger inbetween that and seperate the "glue".  It's suppose to help your body produce the hormones to start labor.  Yes, it hurt.  Incredibly bad. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i had it done with my second child and though it did not feel any more uncomfortable than a pelvic exam, it didn't work for me. my body wasn't ready yet. if yours is (which is sounds like it is) it might work for you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• im always surprised when women say it hurt. i do not have a high threshold for pain but i honestly don't remember it hurting. but i was also carrying a 10 pound child in there so i dont think ANYTHING could've topped the level of pain i had just from carrying such a big baby around.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Mine hurt because I wasn't dilated.  I think I was only at 2 or something.  It made it extremely hard for her to help.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• thats true, being dilated some probably does ease the discomfort. no fun having her try to pry her fingers through a closed cervix LOL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had it done with DD, and it was uncomfortable, but not painful. Basically they swipe away the lining between your womb and cervix, which is supposed to help start labor.

I had it done on a Tuesday morning and DD was born Wednesday afternoon (on her due date).

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Before adding unnecessary risks like this, I encourage you to work on natural alternatives.
    And consider the reason for the prodromal labor.
    You are contracting and not progressing for a reason. Imo it's important to work on that rather than force a body that isn't ready.

Good luck!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i had it done with dd, i wasn't dialated at all, was 40wks, not even having contractions. it hurt like HELL.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2011