I am going to hell.

That was the charming message my little neighbor just gave me.  He's about five years old, and as cherubic looking as they come, with his curly blond hair, wide blue eyes and sweet smile. He just ran up to the chain-link fence that separates our yards and told me that because I don't believe in Jesus, then I am going to hell where I will be "beaten forever by Satan's fists". 

Funny.  All I did was go up to the fence to see if my daughter, who was over in his yard playing with him and his sisters, wanted to go with me to the recycling center with me.  I hope he's not telling her that she's going to hell.  I'll have to have a talk with his mother.

Sweet, isn't it, what this little child is being taught, and the message he is out sharing?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Rest assured, your daughter will go to bed tonight tucking her toes in extra tight to keep the demons out of her bedsheets.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• how does he know what your beliefs are?? that's odd
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Wow.... That's just awful! I really don't know how I'd feel about my kid associating with that family. If he feels like he can tell an adult something like that, why wouldn't he tell another child? And odds are, he got that attitude from his mother in the first place.

Just...wow.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• How does a 5 year old know what your religious beliefs are?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Darn parents, why do they have to teach their kids that crap?!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• WOW that is CRAZY 5yrs old hmm a lil brainwashed i am Cristian, but i would never say somthing like that to my child all i can keep saying is WOW
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I am laughing! WOW. Some stellar parenting going on over there!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well, coming from a child, I would say that he learned that people who dd not believe in God/Jesus do go to Hell. I am quite sure no one told him to inform his neighbors of this by making that comment. I can see how you would take great offense and be concerned for your daughter and if it was and adult or a child who was old enough to understand tact then I would be more likely to say it was out of line. My guess is he heard something in church and was sharing it with you in concern not anger or hate. DO talk to his mother, she needs to explain to him better ways of sharing what he has learned. :)
    Anonymous

• Wow, out of the mouths of babes...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That's scary. I'm worried about that kind of thing happening here when my son gets older. I'm not looking forward to it. So far, the other moms I've met (in a local moms' group and through other friends) don't seem too pushy about their beliefs, but he's not in school yet. We'll see how things are then, I guess.

My husband doesn't really want to teach my son about religion at all, but I think I have him convinced that it would be good for a few reasons (1) so he can make his own informed decision when he's older, (2) that hopefully he will be respectful of beliefs different than his own if he's knowledgeable about them, and (3) that he will have knowledge to defend himself against people who try to indoctrinate or convert him using fear tactics.

I'm sorry that happened to you! :-(
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011