What do i do with my son's outgrown toys? and how do i keep him from noticing?

toys, outgrown, what now

mommyofone740

Asked by mommyofone740 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why not donate them and involve him in the process?? No child is ever too young to learn to help those less fortunate. Ok, maybe a newborn is too young but you get the idea.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We went through them together, I talked to him about what donating means and let him pick which toys to keep and which toys to Donate.. we filled a whole garbage bag full and he kept 1 book and 1 elmo - that's it - now he wants to donate everything he outgrows instantly.. it was fun for us and I got it done :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• This is what I used to do, I would send mine off to grandma's for the night or have daddy take them out for the day and then I would go through their toy boxes and whatever was broken or I know they didn't play with anymore would get bagged up and taken out of the house that day. I did this twice a year and they never even realized they were gone.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We donate and I have my kids do it with me. My daughter knows that if they dont use a toy for a while it means its time for it to go, I do let her keep the things she is really attached to within reason. I think its best to involve him, its a good learning experience, I told my daughter that it was so other kids that dont have so many toys could have some toys to play with, she was completely on bored after that.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We donate all the toys my kids are too big for...I've explained what donating is to my kids and that the toys will make another kid very happy, one that is less fortunate than they are but will love the toys just as much (if not more). Then we go through the toys together...it is amazing how big their little hearts can be when they know what they are doing is so good and how happy it is going to make another little boy or girl out there. It is such a good feeling...kids can be so amazing and understanding when you least expect it.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My daughter and I go through her toys together and decide what to keep and what to get rid of. After we decide we donate them to her daycare, or to the goodwill in our area. Helps to teach her how to give to others when we have things to give.
    ford44

Answer by ford44 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We too donate all our old toys and stuffed animals. We talk about how there are children without mommies and daddies that don't have a stuffed animal, and this would make them happy. Or how some children have mommies and daddies who don't have a job, so they can't buy new toys. By him giving his toys then all children can have something to play with. It's a process, but first we go through all his stuff and I just let him pick out what he's ready to donate. When he's finished, if I feel he didn't pick enough, we go through again and I suggest items. Usually since I know what he does and doesn't play with whatever I suggest during round 2 he says "oh ok" or "sure, I guess" and into the bag it goes. We've done this every spring and fall since he was an infant (he started "helping" at age 2). Now at 5 when I say it's time to donate he already has a list of what he wants to give. And he feels so proud of himself for doing so.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011