How does one study buddhism?

Is there a "bible" for buddhist?

and...

Is there a way to be Christian but follow a Buddhist life style in any way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I primarily read the Dhammapada which is a book of the Buddha's sayings. I have a couple different copies of it, and you can also find it online like in the link above.

There are also other sacred texts like the Tripitaka, Mahayana Sutras, Tibetan Book of the Dead. I have also read books by Thich Nhat Hanh, the Dalai Lama, and Pema Chodron. I highly recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's book, Living Buddha, Living Christ and The Heart of the Buddha's teaching.

Buddhism is a philosophy, and it is quite inclusive of other beliefs. In fact, the Dalai Lama said, "Don't try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are." Thich Nhat Hanh and Martin Luther King Jr were friends, and believe in interfaith approach to peace. I believe you can practice Buddhism along with other religions, including Christianity.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You first have to do some reading about Buddhism & decide whether or not you like the belief system. In Buddhism, they believe attachment becomes suffering & to relieve suffering, one must not be attached to this world or physical body. There is a lot more to it than just that. Lots of Buddhists practice meditation techniques, they also firmly believe in the laws of Karma, that every action & thought we generate, has a reaction that affects us.

Yes, you can certainly be Christian & practice Buddhism. You's have to be an open minded Christian though, because Buddhists believe in reincarnation & karma....which Christians do not. I found this simple guide to becoming Buddhist, maybe it will help you...

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Buddhist
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• This is another book I like. It's a book of some parallel sayings of both Jesus and the Buddha with a brief introduction. 

Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I do believe you can be a Christian and a Buddhist; I think some of the best books have already been suggested to you, Living Buddha, Living Christ and The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh.
    You can read information on BuddhaNet as well, they have "Buddhism in a nutshell" sections and other things too.
    I personally am a Taoist, but I like Zen Buddhism (which is what Thich Nhat Hanh mostly teaches) it is very similar to Taoism.
    Good luck on your journey :-)

Maitri4

Answer by Maitri4 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you're interested in Buddhism, I would recommend reading... Thich Nhat Hahn has some great intro books, including one called 'Living Buddha, Living Christ' which discusses Christianity through a Buddhist perspective.
    Buddhism is a non-theistic religion, meaning it really doesn't deal with the concept or worship of a higher power or god in a concrete sense. Because of that, it is definitely feasible to incorporate aspects of Buddhist practice and philosophy while still being Christian or Jewish or atheist or any other theological belief.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:19 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There are many Christians who compliment their faith with a Buddhist lifestyle. The two can be very complimentary. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Feel free to come join our group Buddhist Mamas. The group hasn't been too active lately but maybe having a new member would help kick start things a bit :) I'm just starting to learn about Buddhism myself and the group is a good place to get advice on books to read, websites to check out, etc. Personally, Buddhism has been such a positive influence on my life already so I'm really excited for you. I'm still new to all of this but you are welcome to message me or add me if you would like :)

Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 5:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011