$$$$$$$$

so i just looked at my paystub and it seems alittle low sincei picked up 2 extra shifts on that paycheck. does anyone else think the more you work the less you paycheck is?

goobersmom713

Asked by goobersmom713 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• Remember ladies, what they take out of one paycheck is not the same as what your tax bracket will be at the end of the year. They take more out of a bigger paycheck, because they assume all your paychecks are that big. They may be, but if they are not, that means you will be getting more money back at tax time. Even if you only keep 50% of each dollar you make, it is still more than you had before.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Unfortunately, the pay equated with those extra hours worked isn't completely ours for the taking ... darn taxes!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, they take a lot of it in taxes. :-(
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 5:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes I think I figured it out at my job, I make more money for 12 hours of OT in one week, than 18. So 12 is always my limit.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• well yes and no! The bigger your gross the bigger deductions will appear but on the whole year to date it's nice when you accumulate big gross income! I hate seeing my check after long week too LOL
    BlueLu

Answer by BlueLu at 5:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The more you make, the more they take. Try working 30 hours of OT and see how much they take in Taxes out of OT pay. The hubby wont work more than 20 now because he brings home the same $$ as if he worked 30 over time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you work to much more it knocks you into the next tax bracket and hardly seems worth it sometimes...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Taxes,
    jonellg

Answer by jonellg at 12:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I had a job where I was paid salary and given a percentage of my salary based on hours over 50 hours.... turned out that the more I worked the less I made. You'd expect a week with 30 hours overtime to be almost double pay.... it wasn't. When an atty looked over my contract, it wasn't legal the way they were calculating OT.... they've since had to change it. But yeah, I know what you mean. When DH was hourly, there's a point that he'd hit and fall into a different taxable bracket..... Anything over 220 hours and taxes hit almost 50%. So he was certainly working more for less. That sucked.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011