How do you explain to a 6yr. old about pregnancy?

I have a 6yr. old son and I just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant. I having trouble explaining pregnancy to him without explaining the birds in the bees. He knows that he is going to have a new baby brother or sister. He is asking diffcult question like how the baby got in my tummy and I dont know exactly how to explain it without explaining the birds and the bees. Please help how do I tell him where babies come from without getting into too much detail. Thanks in advance.

ProudMommy5225

Asked by ProudMommy5225 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to explain the birds and the bees. Not the full "talk", just a simple version. There are actually a lot of books on the market to help you...
    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1227719348/ref=sr_nr_p_n_age_range_1?ie=UTF8&rs=4&keywords=how%20are%20babies%20made&bbn=4&rnid=673420011&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahow%20are%20babies%20made%2Ci%3Astripbooks%2Cn%3A4%2Cp%5Fn%5Fage%5Frange%3A673422011

And remember, he will most likely be discussing this with his friends at school - especially if you leave him hanging or give him a lame answer like the stork. His friends may have heard things from older siblings or honest parents, he may even get an earful from older kids at school who overhear the conversation and want to show off their knowledge. Give him honest answers now so he will expect honest answers from you when he hits puberty.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Tell him God put the baby there and that you'll be going to the hospital to have his new sibling and leave it at that. My kids ask "did I come out of your belly button?" (5 and 6 1/2) and I say YES. Good Luck.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Wow, busybee, I think that will really confuse them!

At age 6, you can tell him the baby is there because that is where it started growing. There is no need to go into how Dad helped it get there! My daughter decided that pregnancy happened when a mom wished for a baby, and I didn't correct her. Now she is 8, and I give truthful but short answers to her questions. It was just last summer that she asked specific enough questions, and I told her the rudiments of sex. Of course, she probably thinks we've done it exactly twice, since we have two kids!

I agree with Kaycee - your child needs to know he can trust you, not be told a bunch of lies.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 1:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree with the fact that you need to tell him the truth, but a PG version of it. That's what I've done with my children. I tell them that mommy and daddy love each other very much so decided to have a baby and now the baby is growing. Also tell him that your tummy will grow as the baby will start taking the space and tell him that he will soon have a new brother or sister. :) Good Luck, we also told our children where the babies will come from when they come out but that's a personal choice I guess :).
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• thank all of you for your advice it is very helpful. im planning on having a little talk with him tonight wish me luck.
    ProudMommy5225

Answer by ProudMommy5225 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Good luck with your chat! I actually had it easy for my now 8 year old step daughter, when she was 7 her dog actually got stuck in another dog, and she asked why they did that, I told her that, that is how babies are made kind of, it's just a little different for humans. She got the picture, and she wasn't horrified, when I was pregnant after that she never asked any questions so I am assuming that what her dog did stuck in her head. She still doesn't know what having sex is either which is good because I didn't want a seven year old knowing all the details. =)
    Rachel_88

Answer by Rachel_88 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• My 7 year old son was talking to his dad one night,I was doing dishes and wasnt paying them no mind,,,all of a sudden my son asked me if santa could get me gregnant, I said why no honey he cant, my son replied oh yes mom because santa has special powers,I cracked up,,kids can say the darndest things.He never said anymore about it,but I thought you might like it.Heres another one he said recently,he came home from school and said dad I know how babies are made in moms belly,his dad said oh yeah,how,son said well,mom has these small chips of bone and it goes to her belly and then the skin starts to form around the bones and thats how its done,after our son walked away we just laughed in amazement, but to try and explain to the child is delecate and you may have to give an answer that isnt exactly how but to satisfy their little delecate minds,then later on in age you can be a little bit more clear,know what I mean.Hope it helps.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009