Does anyone else deal with Meneire's Disease?

mlgrob57

Asked by mlgrob57 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• no i dont have the disease but my wonderful father does. He has had it for many years now. The disease gives ringing in his ears and dizzy spells.
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I personally don't have Meneire's, but my dad had it. Like mommie said, it would make him very dizzy, nauseous, and he suffered terrible ringing in his ears.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My sister did when she was in college. She had t completely change her diet and make everything from scratch and only from whole foods, nothing from a can or box. She could have no salt at all. She was also on medication for about 6 years. When she got pregnant with her oldest child she stopped taking the medication and just watched her diet. She knows if she eats too much salt because she will get dizzy spells and start feeling sick again. Then she is really strict with her diet again. She has been medication free for 14 years.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have been dealing with the disease now 4 years to the point where the last surgery was to put in a shunt 2 years ago, that has helped me tremendously. I do watch what I eat, I steam all my veg's. and cook my meats plain as I don't care for spicy foods. I either make my own soups or buy low-sodium ones. Every restaurant I go to will cater to my needs so that I can still go out. I lost 70lbs. from this disease, I gained back about 30lbs since then, I went from a size 18 to an 8 and now I'm a 10. I have lost most of my hearing and have Tinnitus in my good ear all the time now. If I don't take my Lorazepam at least 2 times a day then I start to get a slight dizziness feeling coming on in my eyes and my balance will sometimes act up.
    mlgrob57

Comment by mlgrob57 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My sister went off all salt. I mean she could even buy bread in a store, it had to much sodium. Even things labeled "Low Sodium" had too much for her. She didn't eat anything from a can, box or bag for YEARS.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My mom has it. They suspect I have either Meniere's Disease or Vestibular Migraines (which has similar symptoms). I passed my hearing test and did ok on the balance test. The next step would be seeing a neurologist, but I've been putting it off. Since I have migraines, my ENT suspects the Vestibular Migraines may be the cause of the vertigo and dizziness. My hearing goes out from time to time (especially in my right ear), but I don't have any permanent hearing loss so far. I often have ringing in my ears though. I was originally referred to the ENT from my family doctor for possible Meniere's, but I guess I won't know for sure unless I do more testing later.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I do it's sooo annoying. I get really bad vertigo when the weather changes,when it rains, and even when I sleep with just one pillow! Crazy!
    bellaambru90

Answer by bellaambru90 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2011