Went to my first ultrasound yesterday

and found out I'm only 8 weeks. According to my first day of my last period I should be about 10 weeks. I know I had to have ovulated late to get pregnant, but I would never had thought I ovulated two weeks late. I'm very regular. However, my cycle is usually 32-34 days not the normal 28 days. Has this ever happened to anyone (go in for ultrasound and find out that your not far along as thought). BTW, the baby looked great. We saw the heartbeat.

thefab4

Asked by thefab4 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's not uncommon. Even an ultrasound is a best guess estimation. You are eight weeks according to the measurements taken at the time. Babies grow at different rates. The important thing is your baby looks good. Congrats!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your baby is healthy.
    Cecilia77

Answer by Cecilia77 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• it could just be that you are 10 weeks along and the fetus is 8 weeks old.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It is very normal for the date to be off a few weeks. Especially if you run longer then 28 day cycle, like myself. You probably did ovulate late. They usually stick with the date from your earliest ultrasound, so this will prob be your due date until the end. Congrats.

I am a nurse at OBGYN.

Kristi Landis
    www.partiesbykristi.com
    kristilandis

Answer by kristilandis at 5:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• The problem is, they often assume the 28 day cycle theory and go by that. In fact, I think all practionioners go by 28 days. I'm like you. My cycles are longer. They're not always very regular, but they're always longer than 28 days. Sometimes I'm 31 days, sometimes I'm 30 and sometimes I'm 32 days. Even if they are going by a 28 day cycle though, they are guessing 8 weeks because of your baby's size, not because of the LMP or cycle lengths. They go by how large the baby is measuring.
    Kaybean

Answer by Kaybean at 5:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Thanks everyone! It has put my mind at ease!
    thefab4

Answer by thefab4 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2008