Homemade pizzas: What kind of sauce do you use? Home made or jar?

If you make your own, what is your recipe? I buy it in a jar and would like to make my own. Thanks!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I make my own. I don't think I have bought sauce in at least 5 years.

I saute onions and garlic in a small amount of olive oil, add a large can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste. Simmer for 15 minutes and add a tablespoon of sugar and balsamic vinegar. Then I add fresh minced basil. Cook 5 more minutes and adjust for flavor, add salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar as needed.

That is it, delicious sauce in 25 minutes. It is easily multiplied. I always make a huge pot and freeze in bags just what we need for one meal, so I always have some on hand.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I make my own. sautee an onion in evoo, add a whole head of minced garlic, add crushed/diced tomatoes, add herbs, cook down for a few. Done.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm not a big red sauce fan so I just slap on some olive oil and then pile on the veggies.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• you know, i have always used the jarred kind, which is a shame because i make GREAT spaghetti sauce. I know pizza sauce is even easier to make than pasta sauce. It's pretty basic & supposed to be a simple sauce.

I can't remember the brand i use, it's pretty good though. I always put fresh basil leaves all over my pizza before i put the cheese on, so good that way! Here is an easy recipe i found, I'm sure you can add some things to it. I add a little hot pepper to my jarred pizza sauce...

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-pizza-sauce-iii/Detail.aspx
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• There is not enough space here to type out my Sicilian MIL's sauce recipe. I always make my own and I make HUGE batches and jar (can) it myself. Pizza sauce is the same recipe as sauce, but we just cook it down longer to make it thicker.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Nope. Fresh if I have them, canned if not. If you like it more on the sweet side, add a tablespoon of honey.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I usually buy the jar too but would love to make my own
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ragu Pizza quick. works for us.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Any particular brand of tomatoes you use, Obby?
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• oh wow, these ideas sound so good, thanks ladies for these receipes
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011