Charleston too far from Charlotte?

In your opinion, if you know anything about the area, is Charleston, SC too far from the Charlotte, NC area for a day trip? (it is about 3 1/2 hours, 220miles) We would probably leave around 10am, idk if we'd stay a night or just come back that same day-if we do stay it'll be in north Charleston since its so much cheaper. please answer if you know anything about either area! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Travel

• It's way too far for me for a day trip! I was born in Greenville, SC which isn't too far from Charlotte and we never would have driven down to Charleston for the day.

Answer by missanc at 5:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i had driven to myrtle beach once for a 'day trip' but then we ended up staying overnight bc i was too tired to drive back, im sure one of us could drive down & the other back but who knows. i was planning a 1 night trip to myrtle but neither of us have been to charleston so i thought that'd be nice but the cheap hotels are like...30 minutes from the beaches so idk.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• yeah - overnight trip to Charleston would be doable, but there aren't any inexpensive hotels near the beach. When my gfs and I go down there for the weekend we rent a house, but we split it like 10 ways so it's fairly cheap. If you're in Charlotte, I'm sure you've done the waterfall tour in the mountains, gone to Old Salem, Chimney Rock and Grandfather Mountain? Those are my favorite places out that way and would be great daytrips unless you're just wanting the beach (which I totally understand!)

Answer by missanc at 5:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I used to live in charlotte, I live in the N. Chas area now. It's about 3 1/2 hours drive one way (its about 4 from greenville). I wouldn't make a day trip of it, but it can certainly be done. Stay in N. Chas, Summerville, or Goose Creek... Cheaper there.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Look on a map. Charleston SC is in the bottom east corner of SC. Charlotte NC is part way up from the farthest south border of NC. They are more than a whole state away.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I've been from Charlotte to Charleston for a day trip before (well, we didn't actually stay in Charleston, we were going to a small town nearby). It's pretty far, but it's not horrible. We usually don't drive more than 2.5 hours for a single day, though. I don't think it's too far, but I love going on day trips.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• lol yes they are a whole state apart but it is a closer drive than the physically closer myrtle/n. myrtle beaches

yea i've done all those things, except chimney rock but i am 6mo. pregnant so i dont want to do a ton of walking lol & i do kinda want a beach. i would like to go to the outer banks but thats much too far for a day or even wkend trip
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• also i looked & wilmington is also about 4hr from here-i guess it comes down to which is cheaper for an overnight stay, which is always going to come down to the cheaper places in myrtle beach. but i would like to go to charleston. maybe we can go & stay for a night at the north charleston places
    do you think it would be worth it to stay that far from the beach/historic area?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• IOP is great! so is Folly beach :) There is also waterfront park in Charleston. It's beautiful down here, you couldn't convince me to move back to charlotte- Lived there for 10 years, I don't even like visiting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011