Do these sound like reform to you? Or just another gov money grab?

1. Did you know that . . . since Jan. 1 of this year (2011), you cannot use your flex-account at work (FSA) or health savings account (HSA) to purchase over-the-counter medicines?

2. Did you know that . . . since July 1 of last year (2010), Americans have been paying a 10 percent excise tax on all indoor tanning services?

3. Did you know that . . . starting in 2018, if your health insurance is “too good” or considered a “Cadillac” plan, then you will incur a new 40 percent tax on your health plan?

4. Did you know that . . . Obamacare has 21 new or higher taxes in it, totaling over $500 billion in increased taxes going to the government over 10 years?

5. Did you know that . . . beginning in 2014, individuals and families that do not purchase “qualifying” -- as defined by federal bureaucrats -- health insurance will be forced to pay a yearly tax penalty?

6. Did you know that . . . 7 tax hikes in Obamacare directly break President Obama’s “firm pledge” not to raise any form of taxes on individuals making less than $200,000 per year and families making less than $250,000 per year?

7. Did you know that . . . the capital gains tax rate under Obamacare will rise to 23.8 percent starting in 2012? That is a 59 percent increase from its current rate.

8. Did you know that . . . in 2013, those Americans facing the highest medical bills and the least ability to pay for them will find their ability to deduct medical expenses is further limited (medical expenses must be reduced by 10 percent of income under Obamacare, rather than current law’s 7.5 percent)

9. Did you know that . . . beginning in 2014, businesses with over 50 employees will be forced to offer health coverage for everyone, or pay a hefty tax for each employee?

10. Did you know that . . . in 2013, Obamacare caps the amount individuals and families can put in their flexible savings accounts at $2500? Currently there is no cap and these accounts are used for a myriad of health expenses including paying upwards of $14,000 in tuition to special needs schools for some parents?

http://www.atr.org/top-ten-things-obama-never-told-a5969##ixzz1HYTAEYLO

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a Govt money grab if you ask me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My brain hurts ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ok, now I don't want to get bashed here, but, what the heck is a flex account???????

Does it really surprise you that all these hidden things are in the works?????
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Of course, it's a money grab and these are just the ones we know about, I wonder how many more "grabs" await us?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• OF COURSE I knew all of those things, but then again, I pay close attention to what politicians are doing, and actually READ the bills that they are passing. I'm not one of those "bandwagon" voters, who only shows up every 4 years or so, and has no idea who or what I'm voting for!!

wink

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ok, now I don't want to get bashed here, but, what the heck is a flex account??????? In a nutshell you have the money taken out of your check pre-tax then you can use to pay your out of pocket medical expenses.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My doctor's office charges a regular office visit to get those prescriptions for Motrin and Claritin. I don't blame her. It takes her time, she isn't going to write a script without seeing you because of liability issues and if she sees you it costs her money...so guess who gets to pay??

Of course it is a power grab. If they really cared about the HEALTH of Americans they would have had created this monstrous health INSURANCE bill.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Sure it's reform. They're reforming us into very broke, very overtaxed people.

This is beyond ridiculous.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• OMG, I have a migrane just reading all this. This is just going way out of control, did we vote these politicians in, or were we asleep and we just woke up?
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act
    Everything is here. There are negatives and positives to everything. It depends on where you are finacially and healthwise. Most laws won't take effect until 2014 which there may be a lot of changes by then. Take good care of yourselves in the meantime.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 10:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011