How can I stop squirrels from coming up to my balcony feeder and eating up all the bird seed from the feeder?

I live in an apt. on the 2nd. floor and I like to feed the birds but the squirrels keep climbing up and jumping in my feeder and eating any kind of seed I put in there. We tried all kinds of feeders and of course the food falls on the floor of the balcony and they get at that too.

mlgrob57

Asked by mlgrob57 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• A baffle on top

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• the only thing i would think to do is move it
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You can't stop it as far as I know. We had two feeders at my moms cabin and the squirrels always got into them. We just made sure we had plenty of seeds and nuts. The squirrels went mostly for the nuts and left the seeds for the birds.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Iv tried everything from anti squirrel feeders and electrified feeder's to sitting out there and shoeing them away. Everything but killing the little guys. If you find something that works please let me know.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My stepmother used to have a small watergun she'd shoot them with when she caught them up there. I'm not sure if it had long term effects and kept them away though.
    Anonymous

• As butterfly blue suggests or put feeder on a shepherd's hook so they can't climb up or on it.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I can't put it on a hook since I live in an apt. and on the 2nd. floor and the squirrels jump from my railing into the feeder. I can't hang it over the sides either as I don't need my neighbors under me complaining about seed dropping on there patio down below us.
    mlgrob57

Comment by mlgrob57 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I wish I knew what to do about squirrels, we had 2 apple trees that grew tons of apples every year, but rarely got to eat any of them...squirrels would eat them before they were ripe. I tried putting things in the tree, and spraying with cinnamon spray (heard they didn't like cinnamon) either these things weren't true, or my squirrels were particularly crafty.....good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• lube it up with vaseline.it won't affect the birds,they work around it.The squirrels will slide right off.I did it with the wooden post,and the entire surface area that shows around where the seed is dispensed or just everywhere.Trust me,it really works.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 8:48 AM on May. 11, 2011