Why is it my fault?????

I got in a car accident 2 years ago. I hit someone from behind. The bend before the light had a neon sign flashing to let you know if the light was green or red. It obvi was a covered light. I was coming around the bend doing the speed limit. The light was green. The SECOND it turned yellow the car in front of me SLAMMED on the brakes. I slamed on mine but due to rain i was not able to stop completely. I hit the car. I came to find out that the person driving was from the UK and did NOT have an international drivers lisence. Which makes it illegal for him to drive in the States. He also told the cop that "where he comes from" they STOP on yellow! Well thats not how it is here! Im so pissed and found out today that my insurance almost doubled. The car they were driving was prob worth about $7,000. Well they got $7,050 from my insurance company for this! The only damage done was to the trunk.It would not close. What can I do to fight this?? I know that hitting someone makes it may fault. I get that. But if that person was illegal can I fight it or is that issue between him and the country/state?? TIA!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Travel

• You can appeal it with your insurance company I believe. Was he sited for driving with out a licence?? That will help your case.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• When you hit anyone from behind it IS ALWAYS your fault. Thats just the way it is. But when a light turns yellow dos'nt that mean GO FASTER? Not jam on the brakes? LOL
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If he was driving illegally I would think you would have some sort of legal recourse because he shouldn't have been on the road. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Honestly, I don't think it matters he didn't have an international license... You hit him, you are at fault. Same way you would have been at fault if you had hit somebody driving without a license, or without insurance. What happens to them because of that is a completely separate case.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Any time you hit someone from behind, it is your fault. You are supposed to leave enough room to be able to stop.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

I completely agree and understand. But I was at least 6-7 car lengths behind this person. My breaks locked and my car would NOT stop. I guess due to the rain. My tires were also legit. So there is no real reason why I hit him. He is at fault. This sucks! lol
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He is not at fault for stopping when the light turned yellow; that is a perfectly valid response, since you don't know if the yellow will be short or long. You've had bad luck in this case, but that still doesn't change the fact that you're at fault.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm sorry but I have to agree that you were at fault. If he hit you then he would be in a hell of a lot more trouble than your large fines.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Oh my! Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm sorry that this happened to you. Are you OK? I don't know what advice to give you about fighting this. I'm more concerned with the people in the accident (hopefully everyone is alright).
    How are you with driving again? Are you OK or a bit nervous? I hope you can shake it off if you are a little shaky.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2011