Tiny little gnats in my plants???

How do I get rid of these? I have already transplanted. That didn't work. And what are they?

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 12:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Home & Garden

• What zone are you in? I always use immunox insect and disease repellent. I think its from scotts. What type of plants?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• do you mean indoor plants? these bugs are from the soil. you should buy indoor soil - it has been autoclaved to kill the bugs and eggs in the soil. There is insecticide you can buy at the grocery to spray on the plants. asensitive plant will suffer with this but most of mine can tolerate the spray. takes a while to work though.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 3:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If you drink coffee, use some used coffee grounds around the top of the soil. They don't like them and you'll get rid of your gnats without chemicals.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• This is really gross, but it works. My in-laws just went through this, and they found the gnats kept coming back because they weren't killing the larvae. Someone advised them to place a raw potato wedge in the soil of each plant, and then throw it away after about a day. The larvae are attracted to the potato wedge. Good luck, those bugs are the worst!
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I'm a horticulturalist and I use a systemic pesticide specifically made for houseplants. You not only need to kill the larvae, but the eggs as well.
    GardenPrincess

Answer by GardenPrincess at 2:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2008