What would be an appropriat punishment, and how to handle this situation?

I have a 6 year old boy. We recently noticed that he has been taking money out of my husbands wallet. The way we found out was my husband said he had noticed in the past that he was a buck or two short, but wasn't quite sure. Yesterday, he had $90.00 in his wallet, and this morning there was only $30.00. My husband confronted him, and he lied, then he went back and asked him again. He then came clean.

nomadmomof3

Asked by nomadmomof3 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He would have nothing. I would remove everything but his bed, his dresser and three outfits from him. He needs to learn that stealing is wrong. Nip it in the bud before your little thief is set loose on the rest of society.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My child would be working it off and repaying me... lots of hard work and hours. He would also be writing a letter of apology and getting a good lesson in what happens to kids that steal. Look up the local laws, and give him the facts.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• talk with him about two issues... first stealing--- honestly, i'd spank his butt and ground him.

then lying about it-- another spanking for lying and a talk about being truthful, having a "word" and what it will mean as he gets older and even now (if he doesnt have his word, no one will believe him, or trust him-- including you, his parents)
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 6:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my child would be working it off....time for extra chores!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would take away THE most important thing to him and have him earn it back by doing some chores. I don't know if this is appropriate but i have heard of parents who "stole" something that was super important to the child and then they fess up that they stole it after a couple of days. I suppose it would help drive home the point of how your husband felt.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well, I'd find all the money, take something he really liked away from him and spank his butt.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree with stealing something from him.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 1:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011