Is it possible to take breastmilk

is it possible to take day old breast milk out of the fridge and add fresh breast milk to it without it going bad? while i was pumping the new milk, the day old milk got to be room temp. will that make the milk bad if i put it back in the fridge for later use?

mika0101

Asked by mika0101 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't mix the two since the day old came up to room temp. It is okay to mix milk as long as you keep the day old chilled and then chill the newly pumped and combine them while chilled. You then would date them based on the EARLIEST date (the day old). I never mixed days but I always mixed my small bottles I pumped throughout the day and chilled together before freezing them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• BM is good in the fridge for like 7 days. It is good at room temp for 10 hours (68-72 degrees). If you mix the old and the new you would want to use it in the next feeding and then toss it.
    Aimers55

Answer by Aimers55 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011