What is your best piece of advice for a second time mom?

My daughter will be close to 3 1/2 when this baby gets here, and I need some tips on how to deal with it! LOL

-How can I prepare her for the birth of her baby sibling?
-Suggestions on how to split time between DD and baby?
-Ideas on how to include DD with baby?

I plan on nursing and I am terrified I am going to fail because I will need to do this or that for DD. I worry every day that I am not going to have enough time/energy/patience for two..

Any general suggestions would be great, too! I am just nervous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• My first suggestion is get your dd into preschool.(if she isn't in one already) she will enjoy the time with other kids and that will give you a little time by yourself with the new baby. Also, Keep whatever schedule you have with your dd, and make baby fit into that schedule, it will be easier to keep your daughter on hers rather than trying to change it to keep up with the baby's ever changing one. I'd get your dd a new baby and have her change her baby's diapers when your changing the new baby's, or feed her baby when your nursing..... Good luck
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i am right there with u hun but my daughter will only be two and a halfs months old when this one comes its very nerve racking
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 6:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• during diaper changes have your daughter help with getting diaper/wipes an etc.
    maybe you could have her told the baby sometimes an have her sit next to you when your holding the baby an talking to the baby..
    when the baby is sleeping make time for your daughter..
    just a few sugestions .. it helped when i had more kids.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• it's not going to be a horrible as you think my babes are 22 months apart. i thought how am i going to do this but it all fell in to place. if dd wants to help let her that way she doesnt feel left out. good luck and congrats.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 6:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• One of the biggest mistakes I made was letting my oldest play outside when I was nursing the baby if the kids from the neighborhood came to play. I should have said he could play later and had him stay in with me so I could have read to him or had him play quietly. I was so anxiuos that everything was OK outside that I was stressed out big time.

Some of the best advice I got was to make it about the older child for awhile when the baby comes home. You and your SO can spend extra time with her so she does not feel replaced. You can take her to the park, out to lunch, for ice cream, etc and say something like this is for big girls, babies can't do this. And make her your big helper as mentioned earlier. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My first 2 were 11 months apart and I remember it just kind of worked its way into a routine. Take a deep breath and know you will do a great job at it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2011