Who came up with "Mother Nature"

I am sure I could research it but figure it would give a nice topic to discuss lol. So where did that saying coming from? Is it an actual belief that a deity of some type exist that created nature and everything in it? I find myself always saying "Thank you Mother Nature for blessing me with another beautiful day" and I was curious to see where that started.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The answer is different if you're looking at Eastern culture or Western culture. They both have the concept in ancient religions. Most likely one of them happened before the other and spread in early trading, but there's no record far enough back that we are able to translate that could say who had it first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• "father christmas" ? LOL no, I think in many pagan writings, and non-christian writings ( many from pre-christ etc) the deity was female and very much in tune with the Earth cycles, winter solstice etc. I also think that as offspring always comes from the female of each species, it is natural to think of the earth with produces abundance in food and beauty is also female. A new tree is offspring of its species and it all comes from the same pivotal source - nature
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well in the Western world it was the pagan religions that had "mother nature" but didn't necassarily call her that. I am not as familiar with it , but I do know that there is something similiar in the Eastern religions too and who knows which one came first.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• For centuries it was called Mother Earth. Still is in some circles. Earth is fertility (growth), mystery, gives us our food, water, sustains all life, and her elements are "nature". Therefore, Mother nature.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Oh cool! Makes sense. Haha see you learn something new every day :)
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Animism, Pantheism, Shamanism, Totemism, and Polytheism--or any combination of these were very common in ancient religions and are still common in some areas today. It's definitely typical to personify the earth or nature as a feminine deity who is nurturing and gives life. I'm sure no one knows for sure who first personified nature as a feminine deity, but I just read that the first record of the term "Mother Nature' appeared in 1601. Good question! Now I'm curious who actually coined the term by the 1600s or if it was actually around before that, but there was no record of it or maybe it was only there with specific deities names. There are many examples of fertility goddesses in different cultures, so it wouldn't surprise me if the term has always been around in a way.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Most of the gods and goddesses before christ the earth was a female goddess. I can not remember it may have been the greek gods that actually started with the earth as the mother the sky as the father and they together created lesser gods and goddesses. Actually I am pretty sure it was greeks and those lesser gods where the titans which than gave way to the gods and goddesses that we studied in school. Could be wrong.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You ladies are so smart :) I think I am going to research it for a new book idea
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• From what I've read, the first "Supreme" deity (because early man believed in various ghosts, deities, etc) was the Mother Goddess, who was eventually paired with and then surpassed by the male perception of God. Perhaps the idea of "mother nature" grows out of that?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It very well could be. Isn't there an ancient Egyptian goddess who was to take care of the earth? I need to look that up I can't remember for fact
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011