How can i get my 3week old to stop using me ....she is using me as a binky and doesnt like pacifiers

mommma26

Asked by mommma26 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well that is how you establish your supply in the earily stages so I wouldn't discourage it quite yet. I also feel that I would rather have the child use me as a binky then some inanimate plastic object but to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Allow her to nurse every 2 hours and no more often than that. Then stretch it out to 3 hours as soon as you can. Allowing her to nurse all the time is forming very bad habits that will be hard to break.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you follow NannyB's advice, you will jeopardize your milk supply.

What she is doing is normal, healthy, and helps establish your healthy milk supply. BF babies should ONLY be fed on demand, and allowed to suckle as long as they desire. Nursing is as much for comfort as it is for nourishment. It isn't a bad habit, it is a reality of a new born baby and she will eventually stop on her own.

A pacifier is a sorry replacement for you, not the other way around.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Furthermore, if you place a BF baby on a feeding schedule, you will essentially starve them since there is no good way to measure how much they take in at each feeding- and it differs each time. FF babies must be fed on a schedule to avoid overfeeding, that is not the case with a BF baby.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• At that age, i always nursed my boys on demand. It should get better as she gets a little older.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• sorry to disagree with NannyB but it is absolutely normal to feed very regularly in the first weeks. She is growing quickly and her needs are increasing rapidly, this is how your supply increases for her. Breastfeeding is great but is also hard work sometimes, I remember feeling like I was just a walking boob !
    Try to enjoy the contact, find ways to allow her to nurse without you being overly restricted baby slings are great for that.Also my biggest tip ( after 4 babes) is to stop looking at the clock. So often u are asked "how often does she feed" blahblah & we get so focused on if it is too regular, not enough... just don't look at the clock, you will stop trying to calculate the gap, & it really helps to focus on this feed rather than the time since the last feed. At the end of the day, she is only a tiny 3 week old & you are the only safe thing she knows. She feels safe & loved when she is on you, & that is perfect xxx
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• PS Good job Momma, your little girl thinks you are awesome
    Good Luck
    xxx
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Switch the paradigm. Pacifiers are Mom Replacement Devices. Baby is doing precisely as she should, and it should force you to slow down and keep off your feet as much as possible during your recovery from childbirth.

You are doing GREAT! Keep it up. This WILL pass. Three weeks is growth spurt time and this is 100% normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It's actually a GOOD thing. The suckling is what helps build and establish your supply, and at 3 weeks, she's likely going through a growth spurt. Take comfort in knowing that this won't last forever, and that your baby is normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Thank you all sooooo much it really helps to hear from other moms! I will keep being the binky and I will enjoy this tme I have to bond with her! I love my little Lyllah May!!!
    mommma26

Comment by mommma26 (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011