Whats an appropriate punishment for a toddler?

What are some punishments you use to try and teach your toddler right from wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We use time outs for our 2 1/2 year old, always have. They work great for us. I don't believe in any kind of physical punishment, EVER.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I agree. I should have added that spanking/hitting or any physical abuse is not appropriate..... obviously.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We do time out, have since DS was 15 months. Now he's nearly 2 and if he is repeatedly doing something that may harm him we do spank on the bottom, one pat. He has had this happen twice. Once for repaetedly climbing our stove and again because he can open all door including locks ( safety things don't work, tried them all). he tried to run out the front door into the street while I was doing laundry. Now he does neither but reasoning with him works well too.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Make sure the child knows the rules! Write them on a small chart if need be. But remember, Time Out is the first, last and best defense when your toddler is misbehaving. One specific area, or stool, or chair is needed for this to work. Give a warning first and tell them a time out will be given. Then if the behavior continues say "Time Out!" The minutes for time out should mirror the child's age. 3 minutes for a 3 year old...5 for a 5 year old, etc. If the child gets up before time is up...without speaking, move the child back to the area to complete the time out. Don't lecture. Don't speak during time out. After time out is over then it's time to discuss the misbehavior. Then...say "Over, Done with, Gone!" so that the child knows it's a clean slate.
    fayethful

Answer by fayethful at 7:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my son is 16mnths an depending on what he did he will get a toy taken a timout or a spankin not hard but just so he knows
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Time out. Redirection. Reward Chart. Removal of toy. They all work really well.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Time out, doesn't work. She cries when she's in time out, and then when she comes back to play she does the same thing over again.
    Redirection, doesn't work. I repeatedly take things away that she can't have, or that she throws.
    She's too young for a reward chart....

She doesn't talk very much so it's very hard to reason with her. I've tried to explain to her in as simple terms as possible what she is doing wrong and that she will get time out if she does it again, but i think she's too young to understand. I try to get support from my family members, but they all just think that it's funny. Which really pisses me off, because it's what I have to deal with everyday, and then when she is with them, they just laugh or give her what she wants, which makes my punishing her a lot harder. She is not going to listen to me when she knows she can get away with it at her grandparents house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I use a reward chart with my 2 1/2 year old and it helps increase the positive behaviors. You have to remember that a toddler will repeat and repeat . . . that is in their developmental stage. You may think that a time-out is a failure, but is is not . . . . the global message takes repeated instances to convey. Nothing is instantaneous within the life of that little body.

Stick with it, and try not to expect too much out of the little tyke. Right and Wrong is not able to really be learned until school-age.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• When nothing else works, I always found a smack on the tush to be very effective. It's not abuse, it's effective discipline. Because my kids know I will spank them, I don't have to (because they refrain from misbehaving).

Answer by missanc at 7:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What did the child do first? You need to get down to their level when talking to them and look into their face and tell them what they did was wrong why it was wrong. If they can let them say why and if you didnt see what happen, Time out when their little is good one min. for each age so 2 min. for a 2yr. old. find a spot and use it each time for time outs. Then when the whole thing is over you huge them let them know you love them but your just not happy with what they did that it was wrong and not to do it again or they have to do time out.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 1:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2011