If you are against hospital births, why?

Oh and by "against" I mean either totally opposed to them, or you personally would not have one.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Because women have been birthing without IVs, pitocin, episiotimies, epidurals, sedatives, vacuums, foreceps, nurses interrupting your concentration and beeping machines for tens of thousands of years. And frankly I think they did a better job!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 7:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm not opposed but I do think many interventions done in the hospital are unnecessary and can cause more harm than good. If an intervention is truly needed I am all for it but in many cases it's not. I prefer a homebirth for myself and I enjoy attending them. It's amazing to see what a woman can do when she is fully supported and encouraged.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I won't birth in a hospital unless I have a serious complication that "risks me out" of alternative settings.

The reason I wouldn't choose a hospital is because I prefer a safer-gentler-happier environment.
    And I have spent a lot of time helping women to swim upstream to have their preferences honored in a setting that is unaccustomed to this.
    I feel it's so much easier to birth where all my faves are the Norm rather than exception!
    ;-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It is the deal with interventions. Too many unneeded interventions are simply standard procedure, and if you clearly don't need or want one, you are being a problem. For example, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists as well as the American Society of Anesthesiologists have both recommended since 2002 at least that a woman with a low risk labor benefits from being allowed liquids rather than an IV, yet many hospitals still routinely give IVs to all laboring women and refuse to allow them more than ice chips. And going against this can be a real battle. I could go on and on with a list of other practices that have actually been proven to be counter-productive, but I don't want to take all that space. This and other "standard procedures" are why more and more women are choosing to skip the hospital.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 12:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I had no idea anyone was opposed to them.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have only had hospital births.

I am opposed to them because the risk of unnecessary medical intervention often happens. That's about it. If doctors would let a woman progress on her own versus "Oh wow, it's dinner time. We need to do this now" sort of approach, then I would be all for it. Then if they can't get the woman induced within the "time frame" that they deem appropriate, guess what? She ends up with a c-section. USA has 30% more c-sections than Europe and other countries. It's ridiculous.

Hospital births are generally safer, but there are things I would change about them.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Women who are opposed to either idea are normally turned off by one bad experience, one bad story, or one bad doctor. If you have an open relationship and feel confident to talk to them, then your hospital birthing experience should be great. It has a lot to do with the fact women assume their doctors know what they want.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I actually had such an awesome hospital birth the first time around that it gave me confidence to consider a home birth this time. Im not totally opposed to hospitals by any means, I just think that women should be more aware of the other options.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011