Breastfeeding Babydoll

I saw this on the news this evening, and was sort of speechless for awhile. I know it's the most natural thing on earth to breastfeed, and I know (from experience) that if you are a breastfeeding mommy with another small child, that they will "mimic" what they see...but I am not sure I'm okay with a baby doll that mimics breast feeding....I think I'm still speechless.... what's your ideas ladies???

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2009/07/babyglutton.html

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• LOL i have to admit it was sooo cute when i saw my kids mimic me breastfeeding but i would never get a doll like that for them ever.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Haha Ive seen this. Who cares?! Its for some, Not for others! My daughter pretends breastfeeds her baby dolls all the time. She pushes her doll up her shirt and makes her own sucking noises! Doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe it will give girls a better understanding that breast are for babies and not just sexual!
    ihavetwo2

Answer by ihavetwo2 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• and? why would you have an issue with a natural function?

do you also have a problem with a child using a bottle to feed a doll? Personally, I find artificial nipples obscene.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have seen this doll and I have really mixed feeling and I 'm not sure why. I mean they make baby doll bottles... My DS mimicked breastfeeding with dolls for a while when DD was born... Breast feeding is perfectly natural... Part of my brain says it'd great then the other part jumps in and says it's just wrong....then doesn't give me a reason...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I personally wouldn't. Some women are okay with introducing those things to children despite what age, but breastfeeding at 6 months old and showing a child how to do it at 5 with the doll approach are truly two entirely different things.

I think it's around 2 1/2, I'd have to pull my psych book out to be sure, that toddlers can start getting "aroused" or "turned on" completely unwillingly just by seeing a parent or someone else's body parts. I am completely serious. I am currently in school for child psychology, and it REALLY happens. Knowing this, I could never get my young child that doll.

It's just a bit creepy for me. Nudity of any kind, IMO, is completely inappropriate for a young child unless they're getting their butt changed or going to the bathroom. I am not for sharing showers or naked dolls or any of that sort.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My first thought is nothing really wrong with it it supports giving young girls a healthy view of breastfeeding for the future, I don't think it would be much different then if they used any other doll to do it.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Also, I am not saying aroused as in the child is aware of what's going on and what the arousal process means, but it does happen. Parents are often not aware, the child really isn't even that aware. Wish I could go into it more, but I just started this chapter and I don't have the entire process memorized yet =/.

Anyway, the point is what I stated above. I don't think nudity is appropriate for young children.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think it's cool, but last time I checked, they're really expensive so I won't be buying one.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Obby - I am in school for psychology. When you read the things that I do and are seeking your masters in it and have the proper education to back up what you're saying, like I do, then come talk to me. Not all nudity is sexual, but children do not know the difference when their body is forcing them to do things, even with them being completely unaware. It's much like little boys who get erections randomly. If you have one, you've surely seen it. No they don't completely understand it, but would you be doing anything to instigate it if you could help it? Probably not.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Eww. Sorry but that's my first thought. I would be worried that if there were dolls like that it would lead to kids trying to play breastfeed each other. Once they get a little older they might try to play innocent when "feeding" a friend who might be a boy. I don't know I just don't think it's a good idea.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 7:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2011