1 year old not gaining weight?

My daughter is going to be a year old in a week and she seems to not be getting any bigger. She isnt loosing weight, but she isnt gaining either. I seem to remember her outgrowing every size of clothes within like 2 or 3 months. She has been in 18 months for 3 months now and even so 18 months is still a little big on her. Is this normal? Should I ask my doctor about this at her 12 month check-up?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's eating good... it should be fine. My niece is 2 and is only like 2 -4 lbs heavier than she was at one. At first the doctors were concerned.. but that is just how she is. Small and petite. Might be the same with your daughter.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I would ask the doctor just to be on the safe side, but at the 12 month check up they do some tests on her iron and lead levles and they also track the growth of her head, her wight and her over all appearance. At 12 months my little girl ( now 17 months) was the same, she was tall and skinny, she looked ok to everyone else, but im hispanic and we correlate health with weight, so a skinny child is unhealthy. lol she was fine, But to be on the safe side i gave her a little more rice and potatoes than usual.
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 12:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter ate very little around her first birthday, and wasn't gaining weight either. It turned out that it was because her 1yr molars were all coming in at the same time, and once she had all of her teeth, she went back to eating more food again. It took forever for us to figure out what the problem was, because she wasn't showing any of the other symptoms for teething. There was no fever, no moods or crying, no swollen gums or anything. Just one day there were no teeth there, and the next day, all 4 of them were in. It was weird, but once she got her teeth she started eating again.
    Jenyenydot

Answer by Jenyenydot at 12:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My son has always been a skinny little thing, he was never a real chunky baby. He has always been able to fit into a size smaller clothes than his age. He just turned two, and a lot of 2T clothes are HUGE on him.
    When he was about 1 1/2 years, he went through a short phase of not growing. I don't know what caused it, he was teething a lot, but he was eating well. When I took him to the dr. they weighed him on three different scales cause they thought the scales were broken. Turns out, he just has a really good metabolism and burns his food off quickly. He is a pretty active little guy.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 12:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• mine refused to eat meat, and stayed at 29lbs for at least a year. she just started eating meat 1 month ago, and has gained 2lbs already.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Doc should let you know if there are any problems, but the older the child, the slower the growth rate. From 15 months to 18 months, my dd has gained half a pound! She's healthy and eats like a horse! She's just very active. Some kids grow more earlier and less later too.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Every child just grows differently. My daughter is 3 and was wearing 6-9 month pants as capris this summer because she is just petite. That is just her. The doctors have wanted to run all kinds of tests on her (I haven't let them draw blood, but the non invasive stuff I've let them do) and it has all come back normal. If your daughter is in 18 month clothes and isn't losing weight (just isn't gaining) I wouldn't worry one bit about it. She probably hit a plateu with her weight and it sounds like she is at about the right age where she is becoming more active anyway. Don't expect to see the same kind of weight gain that you saw in her first year because it is going to taper off drastically.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It's probably fine.. Remember as she gets more mobile, she will actually burn more calories. My granddaughter is 4 and is to tiny, but she is tall.. It's her activity level. Man, I wish I burnt calories like that!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• all children grow at different rates. Notice that clothing makers don't make clothes for 12-15 mos, 15-18mos, etc.. this is because as children get older, their growth spurts slow down. The first year of life is the most growing a child does (generally speaking) As they hit 12 mos or so and start becoming more active, their growth slows down. The clothing makers realize this, that's why children outgrow their 12 or 18 month clothing slower than their 3-6 or 6-12 mos clothing. As long as your child is still eating regularly, sleeping normally, doesn't seem extra tired, and is an active toddler, there's no reason to worry about her weight. When her body needs more food, she'll eat more, and when there's another growth spurt you'll be surprised how fast those clothes get small!! If your really worried about it, of course you should bring it up with the doctor!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2008