Whats the longest you can take for Maternity leave?

I was on maternity leave for my first baby but I was unemployed so I only took 3months. However this time I am employed and I'm scared to come back to work after just 3months. My mom and younger sister(15) will be helping me watch my kids while I work however It would mostly be my sister and its not that I dont trust her just that I'm a bit concerned to leave a 15yr old with a 3month infant. I really really don't want to leave my infant yet at that age however I also cant risk losing my job.

nessac1987

Asked by nessac1987 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think it is only 3mnths
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I've only heard of 3 months. I made the decision with my husband to become a stay at home mom. Be grateful you have family who is willing to help. I had to leave a really great job that I loved.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 7:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ugh I wish it was longer :( or that my job would change my late shift hours :( and I am very greatful for my mom and sister helping my out since I'm a single mom again :( However I don't LOVE my job because the Supervisor is a dumb 21yr old that knows nothing about being a supervisor she only got the job cause she's the only one that knows the system better. But anyways thanks ladies :)
    nessac1987

Comment by nessac1987 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• 12 weeks is what is legally required by FMLA if you have been there at least a year, but you could talk to your employer to see if you could take additional unpaid time off. Some are flexible on that.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If your company has less than 50 employees, they are not required to give you any leave.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• ya i seen that it said 12months and at least 1250hrs by the time i need to go on maternity leave i will have worked 9 1/2months and worked over 34,000hrs. so i wonder if i can still get benifits even though im short 2 1/2months? and its 3hotels owned by the same owner so yes its more then 50employees.
    nessac1987

Comment by nessac1987 (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2011