Trying to lose weight but have no support?

I am 31 years old and trying to lose weight I have had since I gave birth to my second child in 2009. I get no support from my husband whatsoever. He tells me its my fault and there is nothing he can do. I suggested that I purchase healthier foods but he says that's too expensive. I have a weight watchers cookbook and would love to try the recipes in there but afraid no one in my house would eat it. I tried a gym but it did nothing for me. I don't want to try diet pills or anything like that. I wanted to get involved in my husband's mixed martial arts gym but he said its too expensive too. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Wiccangirl24

Asked by Wiccangirl24 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Try doing it slowly and changing it one thing at a time and maybe just some of the things you eat because it can be as simple as adding more fruit or making stuff healthier why not just do it for yoursel. After just start small.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Why can your husband go to a gym but you can not? Am I reading that correctly? Eating correct portion sizes and healthy foods is key to losing weight. And walking can be a great exercise. It really is up to you. I wish your DH was more supportive but don't let that become your excuse. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• To begin with the martial arts is too expensive for you but not for him, am I missing something? Anyway, I have been in the same boat before. I would try some of the recipes, if your kids are too young too cook for themselves then fix them something of course. I would let dh fin for himself. You need to get healthy for you first and then your kids. Just ms me if you need to talk.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Your husband is an ass! He's going to a gym, but tells you it is too expensive if you go?!?
    Anonymous

• So he tells you that your being overweight is YOUR fault but then says "But no you CAN'T buy healthy food and no you CAN'T join the gym"????? Sorry but I agree, he sounds like an ass.

First I don't buy any processed food or junk and my grocery bill is roughly $60 a week for a family of 4. So you can buy healthy /affordable if you know how. Join a cafemom weight loss group and find support there. Do you have cable? Check out the exercise on demand channel, it's free popular workouts all the time, including things like Yoga, Jillian Michaels, Biggest Loser and dozens of others. If not just get out and walk!

Buy lean proteins, healthy whole grain carbs, and lots of fruits and veggies and workout everyday and you'll do it, with or without him.

Then I'd smack my DH upside the head and tell him to support me or get out....seriously, a marriage isn't supposed to be one sided, call him on it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You can eat healthy on a tight budget. For dinners you can eat whatever your serving but eat less of the main entree and more salad and veggies. For your food just leave off the butter. You can buy a whole bag of apples, grapefruit, etc.. for cheap and that last a couple of weeks. I have been cooking the low fat recipes in the cook books and my family hasn't noticed any difference. Oatmeal is a good filling breakfast as well as whole grain cereals, eggs with veggies. Exercising at home you can do lunges, squats, girl push ups, crunches 3 times a week 3 sets each (8 - 15 reps) At least 3 times a week. You will see a difference after about 6 weeks.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I've found that eating healthy foods and cooking from scratch is actually less expensive than eating crappy expensive processed foods. I agree with these guys, it's definitely not okay that he gets to go to the gym, but you don't. It sounds like it's time to stand up for yourself, mama. You have every right to be supported in your quest to get healthy, and your husband should be the first one by your side.
    I started running in September, and the most expensive part of that is the quality shoes (shoes are very important in running). I also do exercise videos that are free on demand. My gym membership expired a month ago, so I understand not being able to get to one. I cook healthy, and that's what's for dinner, period. No one has to know it came from that cookbook, just make it and serve. If they don't want what's for dinner, they don't need to eat. Stand up for yourself!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• go and buy the dvd Jillian Micheals 30 day shred . it only $10 at walmart and its only 20 minutes a day. And as for a eating healther.. You can buy boco or morninstar veggie meat. it taste wonderful. they will never know the difference and its only 3.50 so you would be saving money. And buy chicken in the bag like tyson. its low fat and you can do lots of stuff with it. If you wanna chat message me i will be glad to help you in any way i can. I lost 60 pounds two years ago and kept it off. I f I can do it you can too and I am still trying to lose more!!! GOOD LUCK!!! :)))
    melissa821619

Answer by melissa821619 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• go to the library and rent things. make food just for you if you think no one will eat it good luck!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am part of a sight called myfitnesspal.com. I have a lot of good ideas. send me a private message so we can chat!!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011