Need to Quit Smoking

I found out two weeks ago that i was pregnant and i smoke cigarettes, but only with no filter which i heard is not as poisonous. I am goingto quit tomorrow, any advice on how to make it easier?

infor2

Asked by infor2 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• when I found out I was pregnant, I knew I had to quit, too. There is no safe cigarette for a growing baby so quitting is the only option.

I weaned myself off. I kept the one pack I had and smoked them slow over a few days. Then when I ran out, I puffed off BF's once each time he lit up. After doing this for 2 or 3 days, my cravings subsided and I was able to quit. It took me about a week and a half and I have not smoked since (I am 6 months). Of course, the morning sickness makes it easy to quit as thr smell can make you want to puke!! I think the biggest challenge will be staying off smoking once baby is born!

Good luck and if you have lots of trouble, you can call your dr and they may be able to help you with something.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• see a doc ...I think you might have to taper of nicotine to avoid withdrawel. Anyway your doc's gonna need to know about any smoking cessation aids.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• this is a difficult one. ask your doctor if you can use nicottine replacement products like the gum, the losenges or even the inhaler to help you. those only have nicottine in them and it's better than smoking and inhaling all those chemicals. i know you can't use other smoking cessation products like the patch, wellbutrin or chantix.

if the doctor says no nicottine replacement products, buy some natural cinimmon sticks in the grocery story. try using those when you want a ciggarette. i know the lung association suggests using them when you are trying to quit.

best of luck to you! i've so been there.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 12:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• ya this is really hard I know with both of my pregnancy i had such a hard time. The first one i just said i was going to quit and i did, but after he was born it was soo stressful i started up again. Then with the other one i did the same thing the first post said, just started slowly wheening myself off, it took me 3-4 weeks to stop but i was able to do it. And after awhile everytime i would smoke it would gag so it was not very pleasent anyways.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Come on here and chat with us whenever you feel the need to smoke, we'll help you! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Don't go cold turkey. Its as bad for your baby as smoking is. Take 3-4 weeks to slowly wean yourself off. It is safe to use gum or the patch but like my doctor said that it is still nicotine that your baby is getting but it is still a little better than smoking
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 3:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2008