How to get a speedlimit sign or speed bumps on a small city street?

I live on a small block in Ohio. I have lived here for 20 years, my mom has lived here for 41 years.. The road isn't very big, maybe 30 to 35 houses on each side of the road. There are numerous children. When me and my friends were younger we use to ride our bikes in the road and draw with chalk. Until traffic became bad and speeding got outrageous. My mom tried while I was a tot to get it petitioned to put a speed limit sign up. Our city said they did not care they weren't doing it.. Now many years later. I have a son and I refuse to have it. These teenage kids think racing and crap is cool, IT'S NOT!! Cops won't do anything. What can I do to get a speed limit or maybe even speed bumps? Petition? Write the govenor? My cousin was hit on this road many years ago, she is still alive, but only because God was watching over her that day! Please advice before I go crazy this summer and put nails in the road to stop them ! (We no longer let our kids play in the road because times have changed, but accidents happen, and kids chase balls, no matter if you whip or yell or scream!)

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you start with the city council. Call city hall and ask who to talk to about this. Don't let them give you the run around. It might not work out but give it a try. If you have a town government start with the town manager. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Go during a night City Council is holding a meeting, there is a time during the meeting when the public can speak. Bring it up then, also bring facts about how it would benefit and the dangers that are there now, and all you are asking for is a sign. Also, get a signed petition from as many people along the street as you can so they see how serious you are and proceed from there. It might take some fight but more people are aware of speeds and kids then back when your mom tried so you might have more luck. They just need to see someone is really concerned and so are other residents, and as long as you keep at it and don't give up the first night you have a chance of getting it approved.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Also, meet with the people on City Council, get to know them and continue to talk to them one on one. Take them out to lunch or call them up and discuss it with them over the phone. If you can get one or two on your side then you'll have an easier chance of getting others on your side. Send them emails and such. It's all about persistence.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I could get everyone on this block to sign except maybe one person, he is my age, and he thinks its cool to fly up and down the street all day with his buddies..
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That's good! It would also help to write to your local paper (if your county has one, most do but with the cost of everything going up some have had to stop printing). You can do a letter to the editor, and maybe get a reporter to do a small story on it as well.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011