My 9 month old daughter is under weight.

My daughter is 9 months old & only weighs 14lb 12oz still. I was breastfeeding her up until about 3 weeks ago when she weaned herself. Was also feeding her baby food & mashed up veggies & fruits. Dr said she is under weight. She put her on Pediasure & said to feed her 4 meals a day, to help her gain. It is hard to get her to eat 4 small meals. And the Pediasure makes her poop alot & makes it dry & hard. We give her as much water as she'll take. What foods will help her gain healthy weight?

kayleesmom42328

Asked by kayleesmom42328 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They said the same thing about my kid. I disagreed.

My son is naturally slim and I feel like he eats appropriate meals. I HATE pediasure. It's nothing healthy.

My son breastfed for a year and then eat normal small but fequent meals throughout the day.

The growth charts they used are based on already overweight formula fed babies. Not naturally slim breastfed ones.

Go with your gut on weather or not u feel she needs it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• At that age it is a nursing strike, not self weaning... continue to put her to the breast, she will eventually begin nursing again, and your supply WILL bounce back.
    You should be consulting a "Dietitian" if you are truly concerned, a pediatrician is simply not trained or qualified in infant nutrition.
    You may very well just have a slim one, which isn't uncommon among BF babies once they are mobile they seem to stop gaining (which is NORMAL), the weight standards have changed every few years, increasing to accommodate the obese FF babies/children. They DO NOT APPLY TO BF BABIES.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thanks. I hate giving the Pediasure to her. She has been on it almost 2 weeks. It make her poop so much she keeps getting a diaper rash. I know she is a little under weight but she eats alot. We don't give her alot of junk. She loves fruits, veggies & meats, so we've been giving her lots of those. My sister said they told her the same thing about her first son. She breastfed too so they weren't overweight. If the dr is wanting her to take the Pediasure for the vitamins thats fine but I'd rather she get them a different way that by drinking a sugary tasting drink.
    kayleesmom42328

Comment by kayleesmom42328 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had tried to keep nursing but she never would take it. I tried watching what I ate so as not to effect the taste for her by eating lots of spicy foods & such. My husband & I decided it was fine since we have been talking about trying to have another baby. I tried offering her the breast about a week ago & she turned from it & pushed away.
    kayleesmom42328

Comment by kayleesmom42328 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Pediasure has lots of sugar, which is very constipating.

I would focus on foods with lots of nutrition and calories, like avocado. I would also try relactating; it may have just been a nursing strike.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My DS and DD are considered underweight but in all reality their perfectly healthy. The percentile charts are made for formula babies which tend to be heavier than breastfed babies which are lean.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Get a new DR!!!! Pediasure is not better than breastmilk. Your daughter is perfectly normal. Every child is different. I am a member of a group here on cafe mom with babies who are 11 months old, alot of girls in this group weigh around 12-15 lbs. I have never heard of a dr saying this. Stop doing what the dr says and do what you feel is right. Maybe you daughter is just going to be petite.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We have cut her back on the Pediasure & are giving her mainly milk & water to drink. And giving her whatever she'll take to eat. She loves avocados, so we give her those & she loves soup. So we give her all she'll eat. We figure too, that she may just be petite. She is always on the go with crawling, so I know she is burning a lot of calories that way. Also she is trying to walk on her own. At her age she is into everything. I spoke with the nutritionist at the health dept a couple weeks ago, she said that she looks good & healthy to her. And that her daughter was considered underweight but at 19 is perfectly healthy. Our old dr told us to give her formula when she started not wanting to nurse, but she wanted nothing to do with it. It cracks me up how drs try to get you to give them formula. Then you see so many chubby babies! Then they tell you your kids overweight, all because you listen to them in the first place!!
    kayleesmom42328

Comment by kayleesmom42328 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011