Is your child sensitive to loud noises?

My son acts like he can't handle it. He doesn't like groups of kids or loud tv or music. He covers his ears and says. "It's too loud, I can't handle it!"

He's a loner for the most part. He doesn't mind playing with one or two kids but any more than that and he seems to get overwhelmed.

The only reason I'm real concerned is that he starts school in august and I know with that many kids around he's bound to get overwhelmed.

Do you ladies know of any way for me to help him get accustomed to dealing with it without removing himself from the area (since that won't always be possible at school )

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 8:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• My almost 7 year old used to be very sensitive to noise. It's gotten better over time.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my son is like that but he's only 19 months old....he cries if other kids get really loud, except my daughter, he loves her loud mouth lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My precious grandson is that way. He's 3. The other day we were looking at sale flyer's. I pointed at a Shirt of Mario and friends. I asked him who one character was. He told me in his sweet voice. It was so funny. I started laughing. He covered my mouth, then his ears! And I knew I was too loud. He doesn't like it when things are too loud! I don't like things that are too loud. I think he's clever to protect his hearing and say its too loud. How many times have I gone somewhere and things were too loud? And I'd never speak up. Everyone is different. Even one is an original. I guess let him play with 2-3 kids and try to move up to more as he's ready. It will be fine! Everyone learns and adjusts! Best of luck. I hope you get many more answers. Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have hearing problems so I always think of hearing first. Should you have his hearing checked to make sure everything is OK with it? Just an idea.......
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• OMG!! Until my son was about 4, noises bothered him a lot. When he was a baby, he would cry during football games when we would cheer when our team scored a touchdown. He would scream and cry. Some kids just have sensitive ears. My son was checked for hearing issues and he was fine. He outgrew it by 4 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I've had it checked, He's perfectly fine and socially he's well adjusted in most areas. He's always been around adults for the most part. We've always made a point to do adult things with him and I wonder if he was around adults too much.
    lstrickland

Comment by lstrickland (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Evaluated for what?
    lstrickland

Comment by lstrickland (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• No, all 5 are used to it...LOL artillery can be heard at or house ( militaryhousing)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would definitely get him evaluated...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011