What is the best way to wean a 21 month old from breastfeeding?

lilmommy10805

Asked by lilmommy10805 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just weaned my son. It was very difficult because we was very attatched to me and would nurse not just when hungry or thirsty but also for comfort. I tried to wean him gradually but it didn't work. Finally, another mother told me all I needed was to get myself ready to not sleep for one full weekend, three days, and cut him off cold turkey but to make sure I was there to hold him and comfort him because he would cry for it a lot. I did it, and he hasn't wined not once to nurse since.
    jacobsmom12345

Answer by jacobsmom12345 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You could try pumping and giving him/her breast milk in a sippy cup. If he/she doesn't enjoy that, then you know it is a purely emotional attachment and going cold turkey works the best. If they seem to enjoy the sippy cup of breast milk, slowly mix in cow/goat/soy milk (whichever you like) until they are weaned. When mixing the two milks make sure to shake and use immediately or the cream and milk will seperate.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 10:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What is your objection to child-led weaning?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I went back to work so I had no problems with the baby or my body, it worked out hand and hand together to wean her. So I can't really help w/advise plus it was so many yrs ago, so I'll bump you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011