Anyone lose 50+ lbs??

How did you do it? How long did it take? What was your motivation?

I need to lose a lil over 50lbs and just want to hear some encouraging stories.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 9:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I've been trying to lose weight since about Sept. 2010. I'm not trying to rush anything. I just want to lose the weight at a steady pace. I think the first two months I didn't see any results but then it started to kick in. I have lost 40 pounds and I have 30 more to go. This is what I've learned...

1) Get rid of as much stress as possible.
    2) Get enough sleep on a regular basis.
    3) Drink lots of water everyday including before eating.
    4) Make sure you are having 1-3 bowel movements a day. If not then you need the right combination for you of fiber, water, and oil such as fish oil in your diet.
    5) Cut out sugars as much as possible especially in drinks.
    6) Figure out the right way to eat for you. Every person is different and has different dietary needs. You may just need to change how you eat such as eating slower or eating smaller portions or you may need to supplement like if you need more energy you may need...
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Start with simple changes, one a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat a half pound of non-starchy vegetables every day.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Go with a friend. Put music on when you walk. Change your eating habits Get sugar food out of your house and put in some healthy foods in. There's also on cafemom a link to people who want to lose Diet and fitness link Join their group see if that helps you out.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• #1 tool- eating clean.  It's made ALL the difference for me!  Here's a link to my journal with the basics of eating clean.  Following this and exercising about 5 days a week have helped me lose 54 lbs so far.  I started eating clean about a year ago, and then I started running and added more exercise back in September, and that's made the biggest difference.  I now run about 3 days a week and bike or do an exercise video another 2 days (or if the weather doesn't permit).  I also do some strength training 3-4 days a week.  My biggest challenge was portion control, and so working on that was one of the first things I had to get under control.  Good luck!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• atkins
    low carb eating
    seeing myself get smaller every week
    tired of food running my life got me motivated to start
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• ... vitamin B complex.
    7) With exercise you really have to figure out what works best for you. I gain weight all over so I have to lose it the same way which is why I love dancing and swimming.
    8) Massage the area that you want to tone.
    9) Have fun! Make your food choices and exercises fun.

For some people though if none of these things really help then they may have a more serious problem such as a hormonal imbalance, thyroid or adrenal gland problem in which they may have to consult a doctor.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i lost 35. just made a promise to myself that if i am not working i need to work out and there is no excuse then stuck to a strict diet. i only needed to loose 20 but ended up losing 24 i felt good
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Oh, my motivation was my need and desire to feel better, be able to move better, and have more energy. Looking better is just a bonus because I actually look ok even when I'm over weight, just one of those people that weight doesn't look horrible on. But I have three boys that I need to be able to keep up with. I'm doing it for them and for my own health. I started feeling better with the first 10 pounds lost which excited me to keep going. :-D
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Try Sparkpeople.com. I use them and have had great success. You can count calories and get a customized fitness/nutrition plan, plus lots of articles that offer helpful hints and advice.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 5:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Do it slow, make small goals and don't expect to lose every week. You can lose inches withou losing weight.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011