Prayer?

Do you, in your opinion believe prayer works. Why or why not? Why does prayer work for some exactly how they seem to want it and not others? For example:

Person A and person B both lost their jobs. Both bust their butts to find one. Both pray for guidance and strength to continue on and both pray for a new door to open. Person A gets a job, gets back on track and everything is great and says his prayers were answered while person B still has no job, lost his house and everything and is now living off of the state.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Sometimes we have to take other steps, like training for a new career. I am a new nurse having trouble finding a job, but I believe that God will lead me in what to do next. Now I'm applying for overnight positions, which was not my first choice. Some people whose jobs and skills have become obsolete will need to go back to school. I am in favor of people using whatever help they need to get through the couple of years (like getting food assistance for two years to train for a new career).

I think that God's plan for our lives also comes into play. I prayed and prayed to get pregnant, and it never happened. We ended up building our family through adoption, which I believe was God's plan for us all along. He did answer our prayers, but not necessarily the way we thought He would. Does that make sense?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• well, one could argue that Prayer B IS being taken care of, albeit through PA, but still...

here's my real thought: i don't pray for things, or for situations to go my way. i don't pray i'll win the lottery (i don't waste money like that in the first place..hmmm, maybe my prayers for wisdom DO work!), or that the IRS will make a big mistake and i'll benefit, with the IRS never being the wiser.
    for me, prayer is conversation. i talk to God (yes, MY God..the head of the Trinity-God, otherwise known as ''God'' to us xtians.) like i would my closest friend. when things arise that i need 'help' for, my prayers become a calming device for me. do i believe God can answer prayers (such as mentioned)? yes. however, i also believe He will answer in a way that i can benefit the most. perhaps its not meant for me to be a lottery winner..God knows, i'd spend it all on shoes, after-taxes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Person B just needs to be patient. The answer is there they just haven't found it yet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes, I believe prayer works. However I do not believe that you get something just because you ask for it. For example, you pray for patience. God does not simply give you patience, he gives you the opportunity to be patient. God's answer may simply be "no". We are given what we need but it is not always as straightforward as being granted something.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That depends on what you mean by "does it work".. I don't think some magical figure will come over and make all your problems go away just because you asked nicely. So in that sense, no I don't think prayer "works". But a lot of people pray because they need something to hold onto during hard times... and for whatever reason (logical or not) the prayers make them feel a little better able to handle what life is dealing them. So in that sense, the praying is doing some good.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I see prayer as working the same way spells, meditation, or simply a quiet moment work. They do not "do" anything per say but allow you that moment of quiet and inner reflection to recognize what steps you need to take in order to obtain a desired outcome rather than the chaos that stressing about it can cause which serves to "cloud" the already apparent solution.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I believe prayer can be meditative, and I believe that it can help cultivate our relationship with God, but I don't believe God actively interferes in this world on our behalf.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

-KristiS11384
    **************

That's how I see it too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Both pray for guidance and strength to continue on and both pray for a new door to open.

Well, both need guidance and strength and a new door to open- one in his new job, one for the challenges that lie ahead as he rebuilds- I do not believe we are granted material things but the strength and clarity to take what comes our way- both good and bad-
    Its not about controlling the outcomes of lifes challenges but how we deal with these challenges is what I use prayer for-JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

--

This ^ is how I see it as well. I don't pray, because I don't believe in a personal god. I do meditate though. I believe all the love and wisdom we need can be found inside us. We just need to be mindful, we need to 'wake up' so to speak, and have a quiet moment to reflect and find some clarity. I'm also very interested in the concept of wu wei in Taoism--action through non-action, going with the flow of the Tao.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011