I need some tips about my 6 year old?

I have a six year old whos never had behavior problems till now hes a straight A student but cant be good it has gotten to where im getting calls every week from school plus he has become very mouthy and defiant at home the dr. put him on ADHD meds but i need help beyond that ANY IDEA's???

libbylynne

Asked by libbylynne at 9:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What type of positive reinforcement does the teacher have? If he is adhd he needs short term reward system. What does he like to do at home? How did the doctor determine he's adhd? Write back and forth to his teacher everyday. It might be a pain but you care about your child and what is going on with him. Being 6 yrs old they are talkative and very busy little people....adults need to have patience with them and don't rush on putting children on medicine. Determine why and see if you can fix it at home. If he's bouncy and can't concentrate that is something that your counselor, doctor, teacher, and you all need to work together as a team to help your son. Good Luck
    -
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If he's just mouthy do you think It's ADHD? Meds can do more harm than good as well. Is someone bothering him at school? At a babysitters? Etc. Talk to him :)
    JandAsMommy

Answer by JandAsMommy at 9:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If he is just mouthy, he does NOT need to be on meds. If he is that way only at school, then there is an issue at school, with the teacher. How are the meds working? I would look into counseling to get to the bottom of WHY he is acting in a new way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think ADHD is overdiagnosed and meds just cover up other problems. If this is new behavior, it has a root cause and your job, along with his teacher and any other caregivers, is to figure out what triggered the change. Open up the communication lines with his teacher. Be an active participant so s/he won't write your kid off as just another mouthy kid...I don't know what else to tell you, as my son hasn't started school yet, but I'm sure you can work it out.
    Good luck
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Was your child evaluated for ADHD? Have you tried behavioral therapy?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If he has been fine until now I would look into what is going on at school. Was he evaluated for ADHD or anything else? How long has he been on meds?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• He probably doesn't need the meds. He needs discipline and positive behavior reinforcement. Being mouthy is not a medical problem, it's an indication that the parent needs to teach better self control, manners, and respect.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• What does his teacher think?
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011