I swear I'm going to strap this kid to the bed if she doesn't stop using her broken arm to climb on things...

My 29 month old daughter takes gymnastics classes, and fell the wrong way Monday. ER did xrays, said it looks like she has a fracture right above her elbow, put it in a splint. The orthopedic dr agreed and said it would be 7-10 days before the crack would show up really well on an xray (right now they just say there is swelling/padding on the xray that is consistent with a fracture.)

So it's splinted and in a sling, and nothing I say or do stops her from laying on her arm, leaning on it, and using it to climb up on things!! I am trying to keep her from getting hurt more and she just won't cooperate! I know she doesn't really understand, but she knows what broke means and she knows it hurts, so why does she insist on using it anyway?
I am getting SO frustrated. What can I do short of strapping her down, to get her to not try to use her broken arm??

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• August 2009 my then 2 1/2 year old daughter broke her collar bone. Even having her arm in a sling, completely strapped to her body didn't slow her down in the slightest. She broke it mid morning. That same afternoon, arm strapped to her body, hopped up on painkillers, she was STILL chasing, and tackling, her brother around the house.

About all you can do is encourage her to take it easy, and rip all your hair out. ;) GOOD LUCK!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Can they put it in a cast so it's protected?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Cut it off
    haha I have no idea! But i'm giving you a bump
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i was 6 or 7 and got a broken elbow and i wouldn't stop using mine either
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 9:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• They won't put it in a cast yet, not until the xray scheduled for Wednesday.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011