Competely drained by work.. WYD? adult content

I work with a company that provides work for mentally and physically disabled adults. We have a broad range of services, but the dept I am in is a work center. We have various levels of people there, some in group homes, some with case managers, and some who just live with family. This week has been a very very trying week. We have a girl in a group home who found out she has an STD, her boyfriend just lives with his mom. So we had to get her to sitt down and tell her BF that she has an STD. Then we had to deal with him. Of course he's scared out of his mind, and while no one will admitt it we are all pretty sure the STD came from her, and I think deep down he knows it too. So yesterday I had a lovely conversation with him about condoms and sex and STD"s and all that. Then today we find out that another male in the group home might have it. And this is what bothers me, he is not as high functioning as the girl is. They all hang out together and everything, but he has more problems. So he came to me today all upset about it. I asked him if he was having sex with his girlfriend and he said no, but she was trying to pressure him too and he didn't want too (she is also higher functioning than he is). Here I am trying to talk to a 22 yr old (I'm only 24) about sex and condoms and his right to say no, and I'm not even sure if he understands what I'm saying. I Asked him if he did decide to have sex with her if he knew how to get condoms and he said no. So I reviewed where he could buy them and get them for free and what not. Then it dawns on me, would he even know how to use one??? Is it my job to teach him, or is the job at the group home? Obvisouly if there is an STD going around they're not informing them about them. How do I approach it? I had to go in detail with him about the STD test and what was goin gto happen and everything. I could tell he was so embarassed and having to ask these guys about their sex lives... It's just been weird. Not to mention the complusive(male) masturbater we've had to deal with this week, who happens to be from the same group home. I just feel drained.. I don't even want to think about STD's anymore. But I really am worried about this guy. He doesn't want to have sex with his current gf (he has had sex in the past with the girl who currently has teh STD), but when will peer pressure win? How many more times are they going to spread it around to eachother? Who'se job is it to educate them? it really is heartbreaking, this guy is so upset about this whole situation. And all he did was have sex one time with a girl that he really really likes (I'm sure there was some minupliation involved somewhere on her part). He even said, I only had sex one time and now I have this thing, and it broke my heart. I tried to explain to him that sex can be a wonderful experience if you are in love and it's something you really want and you are careful. But at the same time I don't want to encourage him.. Ugh... I don't even know what to say them anymore!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• I used to work in the same field. Talk to the person in the company is in charge of the group home? That individual might be in a position to better handle who should be handling what. I understand the frustration. I've been there. I loved my job, I loved my clients, but some days, it was very, very draining.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I really admire what you are doing for this group of people. I am not in your field, far from it. I don't want to pretend I know what you are going thru. Hang in there. Just take one day at a time.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I used to work in a system of group homes as well, and I would not be the one having the conversation if they had a guardian. If they don't have a close guardian, I would refer them to the system nurse or have a physician go over it. I would be worried about crossing any lines.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011