What age do you think is good for learning an instrument

I play guitar and my kids love music time. I play something on guitar & they will 'play along' , my daughter has one of those cheep princess keyboards and a guitar with just buttons that play songs, and my son has a tambourine. My son will be 4 soon so for his birthday I got him a kids electric drum board, you know the cheap one with 4 drums. My daughter is just dying to have a guitar though. She's going to be 6 this year. I was thinking of getting her a real guitar, not standard size but small. Do you think she's too young? I don't want her to get it, not be able to play and then be upset 'cause she can't use it. I keep telling her to wait but you know little girls, wanna be like mom. She always asks to play my guitar but it's a full size acoustic and I use heavy weight strings, she can't even push the strings all the way down to make a chord.

jfblaine83

Asked by jfblaine83 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My parents started us at about 4. They didn't force any of is to play one though. When we showed an interest they got us lessons. I now play, Organ, piano, Guitar, Violin very well. Also a host of other brass and wind/reed instruments as well. If it's not fun and you force the kid they just wont do it. We had lots of musicians on both sides of our family though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Any age if they have the interest and are likely to persevere
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well, you know your kids, best, so ultimately you'll have the best insight into her maturity/preparedness. My kids are both pretty musical and they started learning their first instruments at about seven. Either way, it sounds like fun! Hope it goes well for you and the kids.

lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would love to teach my daughter guitar and it would be really fun & she just loves music so much. I just don't want it to break her heart when she can't play like me right away. You know how kids are they can get upset if they can't do something right away. lol. And if she gets one, even though her brother's got his drums he's going to be asking for one. lol. I have seen vinyl strings or plastic strings on some guitars, so I think that I might get her one like that. Should be fun. We can start a band. lol.
    jfblaine83

Comment by jfblaine83 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think 6 is a fine time to start. Even as young as 4 or 5.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Much depends upon the child. In order to play an instrument you need a reasonable attention span, good listening skills, the ability to follow directions and developed eye-hand coordination. In the Susuki method of teaching violin to young children they do not learn to read music but play by ear. The ability to read music requires an additional set of skills that most children don't have until seven years old. I would speak with a few guitar teachers and see what they think before I'd invest in a real instrument.  Music is a wonderful gift to give to your children!   :)       www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 5:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Explain to her that you had to practice a lot to be able to play the way you do and if she keeps it up she will be playing like you.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When they're big enough to fit the instrument is a good time to start. I started at 10.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• 5-6
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011