How do you explain to a 6 year old he lost a classmate today in a car wreck?

I do not even know how to begin to tell him. We are on spring break until Monday. Two beautiful little girls were lost today.

I just want to hug their parents and let them sob. Let them know they have someone to lean on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• just sit him down and tell him what happened you don't have to go into detail but just let him know that you are there to answer questions that he may have
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• OH MY GOSH i just started crying when i read this God bless those little angels!!!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• oh my goodness that is so horrible, i have no idea how i would be able to tell my child that! so sad.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• thats sad it makes me want to cry. have you thought about just telling him she went to heaven?
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• How incredibly awful and sad. I don't know. I guess it depends on what you believe and want to tell him about God and Heaven. I'm so sorry :(
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i would tell him ...hun God called his little angel( child"s name) to heaven today...i know you might be alittle confuss but God allows us to be here for a period of time then he will call each us to heaven when our job is doing....so know everytime you see a extra bright star, or hear a bell ring you know you have and extra angel looking down on you....you know it's okay to cry or ask questions and momma will try to answer them the best she knows how......this is how i will begin and don't worry God will put in your heart what to say from there if your lil man has questions
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 11:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• the school should have grief counslers avalible when everyone gets back. if they dont you should recommend they do. when i was in fifth grade my bestfriend died. my best advice is to talk to him about it and let him talk about it. my parents talked about it for like two weeks and then we stopped. I was embarassed to let them see me upset so i didnt cry in front of them. it took me a really long time to get over it.
    idk how close he was but, my advice is to allow him to talk about it and talk with him and let him know its ok to be sad or to think or talk about them
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Tell him the truth and let him express his sadness. Let him talk, and ask questions, as much as he needs to. Keep him close to see how he reacts and be there for him. Be careful about anyone equating it to going to sleep. That can raise fears of him going to sleep and you going to sleep. Avoid that for sure. I am so sorry.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• so sad...the kids need to be seen by grief counselors. So tragic....poor parents. :(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011