Moving to Chicago ( HELP)

My husband got a GREAT job, but it is in Chicago ( right now we live in small town ohio) , but it was such a great job ( and pay) that we couldn't pass it up.

The problem is... I have never been there ( he has been there twice for buisness but he really doesnt know anything about the city) ...

Really the only thing I have ever heard about there is that people get shot ...lol.

So We are looking are looking at homes online to get an idea of what we want to look at ... We found this nice looking house on West Belden Ave. .. It looks nice but obviously I dont know if that is a good area.

I am totally going in on this blind, right now we live in a town of less than 2,000 people and we only have about 6 streets in town, so everything is right next to each other.

so I basically need to know... what are the best areas ( we do have a large budget so hopefully we are able to get a very nice place) , the safest areas ?, what are the schools like ( Our kids are only 2 and 8 months, but I would like to know for future reference) ...

anything is welcome !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• congrats and good luck. Sorry dont know anything about chicago as well.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think you should wait to buy till you get a feel for the areas and what you like...my SO is from there and he syas there are alot of bad areas and good but you don't want to be stuck in a not so great area.

hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If I were you I would look more in the suburbs. Your husband can always take the train in or the metra. You have a better chance to get more for your money that way. I grew up in the western suburbs.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well we know we will be here for 6 years ( and then we can move again if we chose) ... And I think we both really want to have the city feel ....

We found this home and it looks exactly like we want.... http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2132-N-Kenmore-Ave_Chicago_IL_60614_M86958-36672
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The area you are looking at (Lincoln Park) is awesome. It is a more upscale area of the city. It is close to everything and is kind of artsy (there used to be a relatively large gay population there - don't know about now). It is particularly great if you are single or married without kids, though there is definitely nothing wrong with bringing up children there. My friend lived there for many years but found the suburbs much easier once she had children (plus, she worked in the western suburbs too at the time).

Chicago is an GREAT city. I grew up in the Rogers Park neighborhood and moved to the western suburbs as a pre-teen. Don't let the crime deter you - crime is in every city but the crime rate in Chicago is significantly down and most of that is gang-related. I feel very safe here. Chicago is so much more than that - art, culture, theater, music, nightlife, restaurants, etc. It's got it all and more!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• how exciting good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I lived in Wicker Park, (North side of Chicago) but we did not have the kids at the time (they were both in college in CA). If I were you, I would move to the suburbs-for the schools and more kids friendly neighborhoods. If you decide on the city of Chicago, stay East of Western- Great cosmopolitan city.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Nice house, but I would not shell out that much for a home that you'll likely be living in for less than 7 years- You're liable to take a loss. I know my husband's Co is no longer relocating people and buying back homes that are under water. if I were you, I'd get to know the city and lease for awhile, especially in this economy-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011