Should I bathe my baby?

She is only 2 days old. Is it ok that I have not bathed her? If it's too early now, when can I bathe her.? What are the rules of this? :) Thanks!

ohprettymommy

Asked by ohprettymommy at 11:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you're supposed to just wipe her down with a wash cloth til the umbilical cord falls off
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• you have to wait until the umbilical cord falls of you can wipe the baby down with baby wipes or a wash cloth if you want to though
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Just wipe her off with a warm washcloth until her cord falls off, then give her an actual bath.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• sponge bath is good just keep the cord area dry. congrats on baby.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I've had six kids and always bathed them in a bath of tepid water right from birth, every day. You have to be careful with the cord, but a bath will not cause problems as long as you let it dry after, without covering it up while it's wet. You can dab a little alcohol on it to make sure it dries out, but that's not actually necessary. The nurses in the hospital actually insist on bathing newborns, here, to make sure Mom knows how to do it.

Congratulations on the new baby!! :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I give shallow shallow baths so that the stump isn't submerged in water and even then I usually cover it with a dry wash cloth or gauze. I don't like the idea of not giving baths for over a week.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What the first poster said. CONGRATS on the baby!
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• sponge bath until the umbilicol cord falls off then you can bathe her
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• new babies are usually very clean so no need for bath yet until the cord comes off. Just do sponge bath for now
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011